Chapter 23

Another day passed among fighting and patrolling, causing the two superheroes to end up with some bruises and some minor cuts.
y/n and Hobie crawled in their apartment through the window, trying to go unnoticed by the eyes of passers-by below them.
-Are you hurt anywhere?- he asked as y/n took off her mask and tried to adjust her hair, and Hobie looked at her from head to toe, searching for any type of wounds while he admired her.
He just couldn't help.
-I'm totally fine, dear. I swear.- she replied, smiling tiredly at him.
-Alright, love.- he nodded, not pushing it and taking off his mask as well.
He knew that she'd tell him if she was hurted or in need of something. 
It was their thing, they'd known what the other was thinking from just a glance.
-Are you okay? Wounds? Bruises?- she asked, looking carefully at him, making sure he wasn't hurt that bad.
-I'm fine, darling. No wounds, no bruises.- he smiled, caressing her cheek with a smile -I'm just glad you're well.-
They sat on the ground, sighing in relief in the calm of their home.
Those four walls that had been so much important for them and their relationship, since everything started and bloomed there.
Those four walls had seen their best but also their worst. 
The only noise they'd hear was their breathing and murmurs coming from the streets.
Hobie found himself at y/n as she threw her head back, leaning it on the cushion of the sofa.
In her mind she was replaying the whole fight trying to improve her fighting skills and other ways to swing faster so she could avoid getting hit.
He found her incredibly pretty, even now after a battle, exhausted to the bone, completely messed up and with a scratch on her cheek.
The anarchist was still not used to being able to stare so openly at her without being embarrassed if she caught him red-handed.
-Baby, can you pass me the hydrogen peroxide and some cotton, please?- y/n asked with still her eyes closed, touching carefully the little wound on her cheek and flinching a bit when it sent a shiver of pain down her spine.
Since Hobie didn't reply, she opened her eyes and turned her gaze on him.
y/n wasn't too surprised when she found him staring at her.
As he kept looking at her with a smile that she never fully understood, the girl wondered what he was thinking. 
Was he just admiring her or was he just realizing that she wasn't that pretty, then she pushed that thought away.
y/n laughed a bit as Hobie snapped back to reality.
-Sorry, darling.- he shook his head a bit, realizing that he hadn't understood what she had told him.
-Were you just admiring me or were you realizing I'm not pretty?- she asked, even if she already knew the answer he was gonna give her.
-You're kidding, aren't you?- Hobie asked, in a dramatic shock tone and dramatically bringing his hand to his chest, making her giggle -You're absolutely gorgeous, my darling. The most gorgeous.- he smiled adorably -Anyway needed something?- he asked, scratching the back of  his neck.
-No, baby. I can go grab 'em, it's fine, really.- she smiled, as she went to get up.
-Darling, I'm saying this and I mean it in the most loving way possible, okay?- he said before, to avoid misunderstanding, as y/n nodded -Sat your ass down and tell me what you need. I'll go get it for you, love.- he said, placing a hand on her shoulder.  
-Alright, alright.- y/n giggled, sitting down again -I just need hydrogen peroxide and cotton, dear.- she pointed to her cheek.
-Be right back.- he said, placing a kiss on her forehead and immediately standing up.
Hobie loved taking care of her as she loved taking care of him. 
After a few moments he was walking back in the living room with a little bottle and a little bag full of white fluffy stuff.
-There are any possibilities that you let me patch myself up?- she asked, holding out her hand towards him, hoping he'd give her what she asked for.
-Of course...- Hobie replied, as he knelt to the ground -...not.- he finished the phrase grinning.
-Should have known.- y/n sighed, shaking her head, trying to hold back a laugh.
-C'mon gimme your pretty face.- he smiled, as she got closer.
Hobie poured some liquid on the cotton ball, then gently dabbed her cheek while keeping her chin up with two fingers.
-Ouch.- she complained, flinching a bit.
-Sorry, love. I'm done, I'm done.- he announced, giving her a peck on the lips -Now relax a bit, alright?-
y/n thanked him then as she watched Hobie putting away the stuff, while he just smiled in reply.
y/n had a couple flashbacks of when she was little and her grandparents had took care of a scraped knee or some other small bruises.
Her eyes became a bit shiny, but she remembered Gwen's words "The pain just makes you stronger. All this pain is good, because it shows all the love you never expressed. Pain is love that perseveres.", suddenly she felt less sad and a nostalgic smile crept on her face.
-You okay, dear?- Hobie asked, seeing her expression. 
-Mhmh, Hobs.- she nodded, giving him a convincing smile, not wanting him to worry about her silly thoughts.
For her, the idea of having someone that took care of her was unreasonable, especially if it was a man, since she had almost raised herself.
She knew she'd be fine without someone by her side, but Hobie just felt like an extension of her.
Not the missing piece that she was looking for, but an extension. 
They had created such a strong bond, in so little time, that could have been seen as weird by an outsider.
But for them it wasn't odd.
This may have been a different universe, but they had the same connection.
In every single one.
Or at least, is what she hoped for the all the others y/n in all other universes.