Chapter 6

FLORENCE'S POV:

I walked to my bench after the first set losing it 4-6. I was playing fine, but I knew it wasn't my best and it could improve.

I sat down putting my face in my hands and bending over. I could hear cheers of encouragement coming from the corner of the court close to my box, but I couldn't look up. I needed to find better play on my own.

I closed my eyes and zoned into the thoughts in my head. "I need you mom," I whispered to myself. I focused hard, remembering what she used to say to me as a kid.

I could hear her voice still if I really focused, thinking back to my matches or practice as a kid. When she used to kiss my forehead before a match or sit with me on the court after practice speaking with me quietly.

Tennis can be played for 3 sets for a reason my love. You can always control your narrative when you can control your emotions on the court. I know it can be tough, but I want you to remember one thing. Tennis can feel like it becomes your life, but it's always meant to be fun first. It's meant to be something you love, my love. So find your smile and swing away.

I opened my eyes staring at the green grass under my shoes. I could feel the burn in my eyes, but I blinked a few times soothing the feeling. "Find your smile and swing away," I said under my breath.

I looked up to my box, my dad was focused. He was resting his chin on his hands, and was fully leaned up against the rails. His eyes closed too, I was safe to assume he was talking to mom in his own way too.

I stood and made my way to the my side of the court, preparing to serve to start the set. My eyes stayed locked on my box until my dad's eyes opened and landed straight to me. I forced a smile and took a swing at the air. His eyes lit up, and he knew exactly what I just signaled to him. He gave me a nod then I heard his voice, repeating exactly what I needed to hear.

"Sorridi e vai via [smile and swing away]."

I took a deep breath and situated myself at the baseline.

CHARLES POV:

She was inspiring on the court. The dominance of the last hour didn't go unnoticed by the crowd. I was sure my cheers were lost in the explosive sound all the spectators in the stadium have created. Her serve had been commanding, she played into her net game perfectly, it was sheer dominance.

She never talked to herself negatively in the second or third set. If there was ever a rare error, she would return to her spot with focus in her eyes. She also played into the crowd this match, shaking her fist towards the fans after the perfect volley or drop shout.

She won the second set 4-6 and continued her fierce effort in the 3rd set. It was closer at 5-6, but she never flirted with a break point. She was now serving for the match, and it was quickly 40-15, match point.

I couldn't peel my eyes away, even when I felt Pierre's hand press against me knee trying to stop its constant bounce.

"Shit mate, I hope you don't drive your car like that," he joked. I shushed him blindly moving my hand to his chin and tilting it back to the court.

She threw the ball up and made her first serve. Her opponent had a decent return, and they fought for 16 shots straight. Florence didn't have a moment to crash the net, but her forehand was explosive from the baseline. Her opponent took a chance hitting a drop shot of her own, but Florence kept her feet moving making it to the ball. She swung at the ball going for a pass, it had to be perfect. The ball made it past her opponent, it just had to be in. It hit the back corner of the court, landing on the line.

"It's in!" I let out a scream jumping to my feet with the rest of the crowd. I felt Pierre standing beside me, his claps loud. Florence dropped her racket staying on her feet, and she threw her hands up. She didn't yell, but the smile consumed her face. She didn't relish in the celebration long, and politely approached the net hugging her opponent.

When she walked toward the bench, her hands went to her face as she took a seat. Her opponent was leaving the court, the crowd giving her applause. I watched as Florence's shoulders began to shake, her hands staying over her face. The announcer approached her area.

Florence stood, you could see her pull her hands away unwillingly. She wiped some tears as she stood in front of the microphone.

"What a moment," the announcer started. "Take it in, you're going to the finals."

Florence continued to run her fingers under her eyes, then turned her body for a slow circle waving at the crowd. The stadium welcomed her with a roar. The moment was hers.