Chapter 28

FLORENCE'S POV:

The yawn escaped my lips while I lounged in the Ferrari club. I wasn't able to fly into Singapore with Charles after the US Open, the days surrounding it being a whirlwind of unexpected interviews and talk shows.

While it was incredible, leaving a talk show to get on a flight home was exhausting. Then packing and leaving less than 24 hours for Asia was an unwelcome flight. I had landed in Singapore late Friday night, and fell into my own hotel bed late in the evening.

Saturday morning Charles helped me move into his room, dragging my luggage to another floor. I was able to wish him luck before he had to leave for the track, and I had snoozed almost all day Saturday watching the qualifier on TV as planned. Charles did well ending the day in P4, his car looking fast.

Come Sunday morning I still felt exhausted, but was happy to join Charles to the track. The couch in the club was even more seducing once Charles had to get ready for the race. Kika joined me too, lounging with her eyes closed. Even though she got here Wednesday, the jet lag impacted everyone.

"Don't close your eyes," she hummed. "It's hard enough for me, you may never wake up."

I chuckled at her while I flipped through instagram on my phone, doing my best to keep my mind active. I grimaced when the photo of Charles and I's kiss in the box flashed pass. While the picture was actually very sweet and I had it saved to my camera roll, the entire media world was still having a field day talking about it. To their defense it was out in the open, but I wouldn't have celebrated any other way. We would just have to deal with it.

I continued scrolling seeing some of my tennis friends enjoying their vacations on a beach somewhere, another yawn escaping me. "They look so young and fresh, meanwhile I wore an eye-mask for almost 24 hours to hide the bags under my eyes," I chuckled.

"Welcome," Kika laughed back at me. "The price we pay for fast cars and far away places."

"Is it worth it," I teased.

"Only if Pierre wins," Kika opened her eyes and grinned at me.

"He is my favorite," I smiled back putting my phone down. "Could you get me T-shirt?"

"I think it would clash with your red pants," Kika sighed putting her legs up on the couch stretching out. Her feet almost reached my lounged body on the other side.

"Good point," I chuckled back.

"I can't imagine how you are feeling. How has the last week been, has the media been driving you crazy miss Champion?"

"Mmm, New York was crazy for the few days I have to stay, but it was honestly kind of exciting. I've been on a plane or sleeping ever since, so who knows," I responded.

"Is Steven Colbert as funny as Pierre claims?"

I let out a laugh thinking of my last interview. "He is, but I totally failed the F1 quiz he gave me in the middle of the interview."

Kika perked up, "I'm intrigued, what was it?"

"He quizzed with flash cards on all the Formula 1 terms. I stumbled through it pretty poorly, but I'm sure it was very funny. Everyone did a really good job of keeping Charles out of interviews, but I thought that was a clever nod to the topic everyone is itching to talk about."

"As they should, you're success has nothing to do with a man," Kika said proudly. "But I will watch that on YouTube with Pierre tonight."

"Let me know how it is," I responded resting my eyes as well.

I heard a door open behind us, and was greeted by the most unwelcome voice. "Oh look who it is, the two most unsupportive girlfriends on the grid," Corrine's snobby voice filling the room. My eyes shot open but I didn't have the energy to look behind the couch. Kika was displeased as her body tensed.

Kika looked at me with a cheeky expression of her face, engaging me in a conversation like Corrine wasn't even around.

"Florence you've been watching Drive to Survive right," her eyebrows raising to me. I gave a nod not knowing what she had planned. "What was it Kevin Magnussen said in season 1, when he was pissed at another driver?" 

I hummed trying to think back a few episodes, I was only one episode into season 2. "Suck my balls," my voicing raising at the end with my question. Corrine had strolled in front of us, but I kept my eyes on my friend.

I watched amused while Kika palmed herself in the face, "oh yeah, suck my balls Corrine," Kika's voice exaggerated as she sat up on the couch focused in on Corrine, her eyes narrowing. I couldn't hold my laugh in, trying to cover my hand over my mouth as I finally looked up to Corrine, her mouth was open.

Corrine let out a small scoff, trying to gather herself. "Maybe you two should learn from my etiquette classes."

"Damn, too bad I left all my race dresses at home," my voice escaped before I could think, my eyes landing on Corrine's ridiculous outfit. She was in another white medi dress, her heels made my feet hurt just looking at them.

"Yes Florence," Kika's voice came out excited as she supported my comment.

"Well I expected nothing less from Kika, but not the golden girl of tennis," Corrine shot back.

"Thanks for the compliment," my voice smug.

"What do you want Corrine, we don't have the energy for you today," Kika said.

"Just wanted to congratulate the champion of tennis, hope the picture I saw doesn't bother Charles too much," Corrine said trying to create a challenge.

I rolled my eyes at her standing up, not even caring about what was coming out of her mouth. "I suddenly want a drink Kika, care to join?"

"Maybe a margarita," Kika offered standing with me, looping her arm mine. I didn't bother looking at Corrine again. "I think you got some ketchup on your wedding dress," Kika winked at Corrine leading us away and out of the room.

We walked to some stalls in the paddock, Kika leaning close in my ear. "What was that about?"

"I have no idea," my voice confident but mind racing. "Whatever it is I'm sure Charles won't care, but I don't like the idea of Corrine medaling with me."

"Me neither," Kika's voice ringing out.

CHARLES POV:

My foot landed heavy on the pedal going into the final straight, the car buzzing beneath me as the lights flashed by. The checkered flag was a welcome sight, marking the end to the longest race of the season.

Great job Charles, that's p3, my engineers voice rang in my ears. I reminded myself to breathe as I crossed the line, confident I was holding by breath those last turns. After two DNF races in a row, I let myself enjoy the moment of being back on the podium. The race was too exhausting to be disappointed, and the points were needed.

"Thank you all, good race and great job to the crew," my voice excited but I could here the rasp of exhaustion. I rose my hand waving to the crowd as I closed out the lap, ready to be out of the car as I pulled up in front of the third place sign.

My body flexed as I unstrapped and pulled myself out of the car. My feet hit the gravel and I patted the red car, it stayed consistent the whole two hours.

"Charlie boy," the mechanics were yelling from the fence, I ran over to give them all embraced while they patted my helmet and gave me hugs. I clapped hands with Fred, then looked over to find Florence. She was clapping off to the side and letting out cheers. I pulled off my helmet, the sweat flying off of me, making my way to Florence.

"Congratulations Charlie," her voice playful as I pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head. "How do you feel," she yelled into my ear.

"I need water," my voice dry as we smiled at each other.

"Go, you're getting me all sweaty," she laughed pulling away her arms and giving me a playful shove.

I turned to the cars, walking around Max's Red Bull and Fernando's Aston Martin, my eyes studying the green car closely for a few moments too long. Fernando walked up clapping me on the shoulder and leaned into my ear. "That could be your car next year," he whispered. I shook my head amused, giving him a handshake.

"We will see," my voice steady as I recalled the private offer from Aston Martin earlier in the week.