Chapter 43

FLORENCE'S POV:

I'm a grown up. A successful young woman navigating the life of a professional athlete. I've had my lapses of judgment sure, but I've felt in stride with my life more often than not. Maybe not in the last few months, but those could be ignored.

I proved I could handle seeing an ex with ease Wednesday night. Charles even showed up with the mystery girl, Rachel. Once we were finally forced to acknowledge one another at the dinner party, we were completely civil. The only thing driving me crazy was we spoke like we were strangers in an elevator. The weather was nice, tennis training was going well, and Charles was feeling good about Monaco this year. It was boring without content or much eye contact.

Rachel was quiet and polite when she met me, she shared about art school when I asked what she did. She seemed to be a little more boisterous with the other people around the party, but that made sense to me.

But today I didn't feel like a had a good grasp on reality or myself. The last hour felt like an old, classic, and familiar movie in a language I didn't know. I knew the importance of everything going on, the characters involved, to the series of events now that there was a climax and downfall. But something was missing.

Today was the movie. It was a dream that came to reality today. Charles finally won the Monaco Grand Prix, and I knew what that meant to him on a beyond personal level. This moment was everything and I was overjoyed for him. But as I watched him cross the finish line, I knew I was an outsider.

Kelly pulled me to the drivers area where they stopped. We applauded the drivers pulling and Max came first after finishing p2. He knocked the tip of my cap down in acknowledgment and I watched Kelly kiss his helmet next. They were cute and the real deal. Max had let me in on a little secret for later today and I was excited to celebrate with them. Kelly would have a heavier left hand later tonight.

Charles pulled up next, I watched while he eagerly pulled himself from the car. I could hear his screams already. My hands went to my hat grabbing my sunglasses off the top. I quickly put them to form a layer of protection. I could feel tears forming in my eyes from happiness and sadness.

Then things moved slow motion. He ran to his engineers jumping into them while congratulations spewed out everywhere. Charles stormed up to Max next, the closest he has been to me in a long time. The two gave a quick hug and his eyes caught me when he was looking over Max's shoulder. I was surprised when a small smile formed on his face as they pulled apart, he took a step toward me immediately then stopped in his tracks.

I didn't know what to do as he seemed frozen there. I returned a small smile then let out a light congratulations, I'm sure it wasn't even heard in the mass of cheers. He turned when someone was yelling his name a few people away, I finally released a breath I didn't even know I was holding. My eyes didn't follow him as I recognized the voice from the night before, Rachel. My gaze couldn't avoid the massive television in front of us though. My jaw clenched as the tv showed Charles hugging her, a surprising kiss to follow that exploded the crowd.

I knew I couldn't respond in the moment, there were too many cameras around waiting for a story. Instead my eyes shut behind my sunglasses while a tear fell down my cheek. My jaw clenched while I did my best not to walk off. Kelly's hand landed on my back while she slowly moved closer to me to avoid attention.

"You okay," she whispered into my ear. As her hand fell I intertwined our fingers giving her a tight squeeze without saying a word.

~

"Are you sure about this," Gabriel yelled from my couch. I was in my room completing my final touches for the night.

"Yeah, I'm almost done," I yelled back.