Chapter 23

CHARLES POV:

Formula 1 could build you up to the highest peak, then drop you into the bottom of a pit in less than a second. The whole weekend was perfect in every aspect on a work and personal level. The car was fast all weekend, and every time I was in the cockpit, the engine and my pulse felt in sync with every straightaway and turn. Away from the track, Florence and I had enjoyed every moment in the public eye, with friends, and in private.

I even broke my rule of thinking about the win, the idea of Florence being there for a race victory was all consuming, and I wanted to share the moment with her. Pole position fell into place on Saturday, and my mind was in the perfect place. But when it rains it pours.

George was in p-3 at the start, got hit by Perez in turn 1, then his car skidded against mine causing my car to end up backwards in the gravel with a massive puncture. Just like that there was a red flag resulting in 3 car retirement, my Ferrari included. Lap 1.

If observing an entire race from the garage wasn't shitty enough, I was watching Florence walk away towards airport security deciding one moment was worse than the other.

She had spent the rest of the afternoon with me fully understanding my disappointment, even though I was doing my best to snap out of my mood. She got it though, asking the right questions, acknowledging the disappointment without speaking about the actual race, and choosing to lay low at the hotel room until it was time to leave instead of going out to an early dinner with everyone.

She drew us up a shared bath, the moment was intimate without being physical while we spoke about heartbreak in sport. She was able to snap me out of my funk, the conversation revolving around managing our highs and lows in our careers. I enjoyed aimlessly drawing shapes on her shoulders, chatting away, while her back rested against my chest. The rest of our time was spent cuddled up on the couch, enjoying room service, and watching a game show that left us in fits of laughter and yelling out answers.

Then there she was, Florence's ponytail bouncing over her shoulders as she walked out of view. The idea of possibly not seeing her for close to a month left me gut wrenched. I promised myself I would do my best to get to the US Open. I knew she would be able to get to the finals, and I wanted to be there to support her in every way possible.

FLORENCE'S POV:

My brain was too busy to fall asleep. We were somewhere over the Atlantic on our way to DC. Laurie and I were flying together, our first class seats were practically beds leaned back against each other. I took out my headphones and let out a sigh, surprised when Laurie shifted to face me.

"Can't sleep," she asked curiously. I shook my head letting out a groan. "Tennis or your race car driver?"

"Both," I offered up. "I guess that's what my dad is worried about."

She chuckled at me rolling her eyes. "Don't give him that much credit, you're the only person I know who can handle it."

"Thanks," I let out. "How are you feeling?"

"Besides the best weekend of my life, I feel ready. I don't expect much coming off my wrist injury, but it'll be nice to get back into the swing of it."

Laurie was right, tennis was an impossible sport to come back to after injury. It wasn't like you could sub in and get minutes building back up, you could get stuck in a 3 hour match your first time back.

"You'll do great, I'm just bummed we'll be missing out on doubles this month." Laurie made the smart decision of focusing on singles to end the season to keep her wrist as manageable as possible.

"I hope I don't have to beat you in singles," Laurie teased acknowledging our worst fear as players.

"Yeah right," I laughed. "Your serve could kill."

"Thanks for the trip this weekend, it was incredible," Laurie said switching the topic off tennis.

"I think you're a little paddock bug, everyone loved you as expected. You'll definitely have to join me whenever you can." Laurie giggled and her cheeks flushed."What are you not telling me," my tone accusing.

"I'll join you whenever, but I may have been offered my own invitation."

My eyebrows scrunched, jaw hitting the floor. "SPILL."

Laurie settled her laugh, chewing on her lip. "While I did ruin any chance that didn't exist with Carlos, I may have gotten an invite from Lando Norris." She said his name in a whisper, like someone else was listening in our conversation.

"Laurie," I gasped. "Lando!"

She shushed me with her hand bolting over my mouth and her eyes wide, both of us containing our giggles.

I thought back to the weekend, trying to remember if I could remember any interactions the two had. Lando did join us Saturday after qualifier, claiming he was excited to meet more Australians. Then I did find her at outside the McLaren garage a few hours before the race.

"Laurie and Lando, it has a nice ring to it," I said between laughs.

"He was nice," Laurie said.

"You didn't just call Lando Norris nice," I said teasingly remembering one of the first things she said about Charles. She rolled her eyes again acknowledging my play. "Tell me more," I pleaded.

Laurie went on about how they chatted. She admitted to liking orange when they first met, leading to them having a full blown conversation Saturday. She told me on Sunday they shared numbers, and from there she would see what happened. Laurie did text Lando to congratulate him on his p2 podium.

"It would be nice to have some company," I said.

"We shall see, but enough about me! You're the one in love."

"I'm not in love," I scoffed. She gave me a mocking smile.

"Yeah yeah, I've never seen you so smitten. What's is it like dating the prince of Monaco, and don't you dare say nice. This weekend showed me it's far more."

I hummed preparing my response, someone who makes vulnerability seem easy, who can level me with their smile, and make it feel like I've known them for years. An absolute step out of my comfort zone, while also feeling like everything is right even though our relationship seems to be the worlds business. "He's one of a kind, hysterical and goofy, genuine, and far more than meets the eye," I went with instead.

"You're holding back," Laurie whispered grinning at me.

"Our hands have been forced, some things have to stay private," I winked at her.

"I still have to get to know Charles more, but I like him so far. Plus he's brings out a side in you I wish you trusted more often," Laurie said. I smiled at Laurie, thankful for our friendship. "You forgot to mention how freaking handsome he is. It looks could kill, the world would be extinct."

"Now you're just being dramatic," I chuckled. "But I do catch myself admiring him all the time. You should see Charles in glasses when he reads," I offered.

"He reads, sheesh he is perfect for you," Laurie mumbled. "I'm serious, don't let anyone get in your way with him. Not the media, your team, or yourself. You two could really have something, and I'd hate to see it ruined by outside forces," Laurie offered.

"I'll do my best, that way could can keep spilling on Carlos."

Laurie narrowed her eyes at me before situating herself onto her back and pulling her eye cover down. "Don't know what you're talking about, I was smoooooth."

"Mhmmm. Who knows, maybe I'll be having the same conversation with you about Lando in a few months." I replied watching a grin form on her lips, but she stayed silent. "Goodnight Laurie," I whispered and pulled my eyes cover over as well, settling into my chair.

"Goodnight Flo," she responded earning a small chuckle out of me. I didn't have it in me to tell Charles that Laurie had been calling me Flo for years. The fact that he and my dearest friend called me the same thing seemed fitting, and I was confident they'd figure it out amongst themselves.