Chapter 12

CHARLES POV:

I enjoyed being on the podium again at Monza. Regardless of the second place result, it felt like a win beating out Lando's rocket of an updated car and being within seconds from Max. Max has been virtually untouchable this season, so to know we were close gave me reason to celebrate.

I looked out over the crowd while the Dutch and Austrian anthem played, and I could spot my younger brother in close proximity to Florence and her dad. Florence's head pointed upward to me, a smile planted on her face, and her eyes locked with mine. She gave me a double thumbs up when she realized she had my attention, and I shot her back a wink. I took note as Gregor's attention shifted to his daughter, his body language looking slightly concerned as he crossed his arms and furrowed his brow. Hmm.

Then I heard the music cut and I realized I was late to popping the champagne as I reached down. I shook it beginning to spray the bottle when I felt the cold liquid directly hitting my neck. Max had beaten me to the champagne battle, my back jolting to the cold. Lando joined by smashing his bottle into the ground, getting a ridiculous explosion of spray. It was the first celebration I have enjoyed in a while.
~
I knocked on the door waiting for Florence to greet me. After a few moments, she opened the door. She was more dressed up than I have ever seen her, a white dress with a unique design printed over it. She grinned at me stepping out of the villa.

"You look incredible," I said as she locked the door turning to me

"Thanks, you cleaned up nicely too," she replied looking me up and down. "I like your converses."

"They work nicely for clubbing," I said as we walked past my car. The Uber I called would be pulling up in a minute.

"Clubbing?" Her voice was shocked as I looked over to her.

"That okay?"

She nodded her head, looking down at her feet. "Yeah, I've just never been clubbing. My wild night is a dinner and bar."

"Never been clubbing," my statement accidentally  carried a slight tone of judgement. Her cheeks flushed by my comment.

"I know you've seen my fun side lately of late night pool swims and rare outings, but I have a little secrete to share. I'm pretty lame," she whispered looking up at me.

I chuckled at her comment. "You are so far from lame Florence Bonsee. You are a breath of fresh air."

A small smile formed at the end of her lips as her gaze returned to mine. She got onto her tip toes kissing my cheek. The Uber's headlights flashed into the drive interrupting the moment.

"I can do a late dinner with you instead. I don't mind and want to make sure you're comfortable," I offered.

She shook her head as the car pulled in front of us. "Take me clubbing Charles," her hand intertwining with mine.

FLORENCE'S POV:

The club was alive, music and lights pulsing all around. I was sitting at a VIP table with Kika, Pierre, and Lily. Lily was Alex Albon's girlfriend. I had met a handful of more drivers, Lando, George, Alex, and Max. I had already met Kelly at the race, and I was able to chat to George's girlfriend, Carmen, earlier. They all welcomed me warmly, avoiding any questions of my new presence which I appreciated.

I was finishing up another drink while Charles and the guys were fetching more. Lily and I were currently sharing about our careers, I found out she was a professional golfer.

"If you ever have a tournament in Italy when I'm home, let me know. I would love to cheer you on," I said far too loudly over the music.

"I'll make sure to keep an eye on your tennis schedule too, it's nice having someone around who gets it. It can be tough dealing with your own sport while being around all this."

"I'm sure, I wouldn't know," I admitted.

"If I was a betting woman, I'd put money down on you knowing in a few months."

We laughed at one another and I held up my glass, clinking it against hers. "Yeah yeah," I mumbled at her subtle acknowledgment.

I left my empty drink as Kika pulled us onto the dance floor. We forced our way into a small spot. Lily and Kika moved freely around me, while I managed to step in rhythm for a few moments trying to keep up.

"Looks like you might need this," I heard a whisper behind me, lips almost brushing against my ear. I spun around quickly, Charles standing with a beer extended towards me.

Thank you, I mouthed grabbing the beer. He didn't move when I took the drink. I studied him while he stood in front of me. His short sleeve button up shirt had wrinkled more, the top buttons more undone from when I had seen him last. I was busy admiring Charles when he held out his hand, and I offered him mine.

The second he grasped my hand, he pulled me close. My arms swung around his neck, I was careful not to spill my beer down his back. Charles placed one hand on my lower back as we began swaying to the music quickly, virtually no space between our bodies. I was able to peer over his shoulder, and saw Pierre and Alex fist bump. When they realized I had caught them, Alex laughed while Pierre winked at me. They both walked passed grabbing their girlfriends to dance as well.
~
"Last call, I'm not ready to go," Kelly groaned as we all settled around the VIP table. The air was hot around me, and I could feel the effects of the alcohol.

"I'm not getting another noise complaint for an after party," Lando yelled.

I looked around the table, everyone was still enjoying themselves even though it was 2am. I couldn't believe what I was about to offer.

"I can host," I said lightly as everyone's eyes landed on me.

"Say it louder," George said next to me bumping our shoulders.

"You all can come over to my place," my voice only slightly louder, but everyone cheered. A smile surprisingly crept on my face, I couldn't believe my own offer. Charles caught my attention across the table, his green eyes shining before he winked. 
~
"I think you have  to withdrawal your statement on being lame," Charles said while we were laying on the patio couch. It was 5 am, and most people had fallen asleep inside. We could still here Lando and George chatting in the pool, but it was almost background noise.

The patio couch was L shaped, both of us laying on our backs with our heads sharing a pillow, but our bodies sprawling out in the opposite direction.

"I turned 18 the last time I stayed up this late," I chuckled. "And I definitely wasn't the one hosting the party."

"Teenage you would be very proud."

"It's nice doing something different. I've gotten into such a ridiculous routine these last few years since my career has really picked up. You can forget to live for anything else."

"I know the feeling," Charles replied. "Does it feel like living now?" He asked flipping over to his stomach and tucking his arms under his chin.

I copied the motion, coming face to face with Charles. I smiled while he held my gaze. "Maybe just a little bit with the clubbing," I teased as he grinned. "But right now, yes."

Charles reached his hand up, pushing a strand of hair out out of my face. He shifted an inch forward, brushing his lips against mine for just a second. Our lips then met solidly for a moment before we both pulled away smiling at one another.

I sighed and flipped back over so I could be on my back, looking up at the stars.

Charles stayed laying on his stomach. "Damn Bonsee, what are we going to do about this," his tone serious.

I studied the few constellations I could make out in the sky, sleepiness finally hitting me. I shut my eyes, letting my last words be in French, "nous pouvons comprendre, promesse [we can figure it out, promise].