Chapter 20

CHARLE'S POV:

Scheduling was my top priority. Between racing, tennis, and now balancing a long distance relationship, I had never been more active in managing my time. Summer break felt like it ended after Florence left for Italy because that final week felt like work. My manager was over helping with statements, weekend planning, and anything related to racing practically everyday.

The second half of the season was always harder in my opinion, more trips to Asia, the Middle East, and the Americas. August and September  were also going to be the most difficult months due to schedule conflicts. Florence would be competing in the US Open, and I wanted to be cheering her on in-person more than anything, but that was where our schedules completely collided. During her tournament, I would be in the Netherlands and Italy before preparing for Singapore, the most demanding race of the year. The good news was Florence planned on meeting me in Singapore so she could stay on the Asian leg of the tour with me, then we planned a couple days in Monaco for when we got home.

From there, her schedule opened up with the exception of a few weeks, so we didn't stress about the remainder of the year. The idea of having her at the last Grand Prix races of the year was thrilling. It had been a while since I've had a girlfriend support me at the paddock, and I wanted to share every aspect of my career with her since we had gotten to know each other away from our sport.

Our first public appearance would be this weekend in Austria, and it would be our first time seeing each other after 2 weeks. After the race, Florence would be taking off to the United States for a smaller tournament in DC before the US Open. If Florence made it deep enough into the tournament, it left a chance for me to make it to the US for the final weekend. I was hesitant to say anything though because I didn't want to jinx her by saying I could come if she won, and I'm not sure how my team would feel about me flying into Singapore mid-way through the week before the race.

I tried to focus on packing for the weekend when my doorbell interrupted me. I knew I had texted my brothers to see if they were up to anything tonight, but I hadn't heard back from either of them. I was pleasantly surprised to see Lorenzo at the front door.

"Grand frère [big bro], come on in," I said while stepping aside. Lorenzo walked in, slipped his shoes off per usual, and made himself at home in the living room. "What's up," I said sitting down in the chair across from him.

"I was in the area when you texted. I don't have long but figured I should swing by before you're away for the next year," Lorenzo stated while turning on the television.

"I'm not away for a year," I scoffed defending against his comment.

"I'm kidding little bro, you're so defensive," he said.

"I'm not," I shot back, but then both of us laughed at my reaction. "Maybe I am, but just with you," I said giving in and watched Lorenzo flip to a sports media channel.

Lorenzo and I have always had a different relationship from the one I had with Arthur. We were always close, but he stayed away from racing which kept our social lives and hobbies far apart growing up. It made him feel older even though it was just one year, I always appreciated his advice because it came from a different perspective, and he knew how to push every single one of my buttons.

"Well will you look at that," Lorenzo chuckled as a picture of Florence and I landed on the screen, it was the one of us on the boat. The caption below read, will we see the new couple in Austria this weekend? "Well, I'm dying to know. Will we?" Lorenzo said laughing while he thankfully changed the channel and muted the tv. I didn't respond to his teasing and leaned back into the couch closing my eyes. "Mom tells me you've fallen in love with a tennis player," Lorenzo stated breaking up the silence.