Chapter 22

FLORENCES'S POV:

The mirror at the hotel wasn't lying to me, I was a touch drunk. Between the interaction with Corrine, getting mobbed, and a fantastic dinner with friends, I let myself relax and the beverages flowed all night. Laurie was giving me the eyes all night whenever another drink was ordered, and I didn't really realize the effects until late into the dinner and on the drive home. I did my best to hide it once it was noted but knew my tennis side of friends definitely were aware. I was curious if Charles noticed throughout the night, but he didn't seem to mind my constant touch or uncontrollable laughs that would turn into a snort. Laurie knew the second I gave Charles a public kiss when he offered dessert, her kick under the table giving it away.

I filled up my water and stepped out of the bathroom into the suite, leaning against the door and watching Charles on the couch. He was looking at his phone and did not seem to notice my entrance. I took the chance to sneak behind the couch and lean over in his ear, I didn't really bother looking at his phone, it looked like an email out of the corner of my eye.

"You look cute when you're focused." It was meant to be a whisper but my voice betrayed me.

"Mama Mia, Florence," Charles gasped dropping his phone onto his lap and shooting to the other side of the couch with his hands up. I couldn't hide the goofy grin on my face watching the scene unfold, and Charles looked over to me. "You scared the shit out of me!"

Oops, I mouthed as Charles beautiful green eyes met mine, his gaze taking in my amused face. I watched as his dimples appeared with his smile. "Are you a psycho, how do you walk and breathe so quietly."

"Perk of being a wallflower my entire life," I let out while I did my best to climb over the back of the couch. My attempt was clumsy as my limbs flopped over the couch and I plopped down sideways.

Charles scoffed and pulled me towards him, my head eventually resting on his shoulder and my body smooshed into his. "You are so far from a wallflower Florence. Maybe a little drunky, but not a wallflower."

"I'm not drunky," my voice cracking. Charles shook his head seeing right through me. "How'd you know?"

"You're goofy side is showing, and the fact that you kissed me in front of everyone was a dead giveaway," Charles said bumping his nose against mine.

"Sorry about that," my cheeks flared thinking about it.

"What if I told you I liked it," Charles said raising his eyebrows at me.

"Then I'll kiss you again, and again, and again," my voice trailed off as Charles closed the space giving me a warm kiss. I sighed into it enjoying the closeness and the feeling. Charles pulled away kissing the tip of my nose. "It's a good thing I always have my chapstick ready."

Charles chuckled studying me, his eyes squinted from his smile. "You might be my favorite person Florence."

"You might just be mine," I admitted shifting my body so I was straddling him and giving him the kiss he deserved.
~
I fell back onto the soft bed next to Charles, his arm pulling me close so I could rest my head on his chest. I listened to his breathing become steady, us both enjoying the closeness.

"Damn Flo, you may be in better shape than me," while I felt his body chuckle underneath me.

Shhhhh, I let out giggling with him. Silence surrounding us for a moment. I registered what he just said, focusing in on him calling me Flo.

"You okay down there," Charles asked bumping his shoulder up to jar my head.

"Did you just nickname me after the insurance lady," I asked with a playful tone.