Chapter 17

CHARLES POV:

I woke up warm in bed, and I stretched out with a yawn. My eyes closed again as my hand patted the bed beside me, and I didn't feel another body. I opened my eyes realizing I was alone, the sheets ruffled beside me. The alarm on the bedside table showed 10:15, and I was shocked to have slept in so late, especially with all the light flooding into the room. I didn't bother grabbing my phone, enjoying the fact I could be unplugged from the world. I rolled out of my bed in my boxers and grabbed a swimsuit before going to the bathroom.
~
When I made it to the kitchen Kika was making coffee in her pajamas. "Want some," she offered and I accepted.

We walked up to the top deck and heard some music and light voices coming from below. When I peaked over the railing, I saw Pierre and Florence doing a workout on the lower deck. They each had a yoga mat and it looked like Florence was leading a hit workout of some kind. They were currently doing squats jumps, and I chuckled at their dedication.

"They've been working out for an hour, no thank you," Kika mumbled sipping on her coffee.

"Not a morning workout person," I chuckled settling in the bench across from her. I put my feet up on the table leaning back letting the sun warm me."

"Vacation means no workout," Kika responded. "You?"

"I completely agree. Swimming will be my only workout this whole week," I responded. We sat in silence for a moment, and I looked over at Kika who was also enjoying the sun. "Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot away," she responded and went back to her coffee.

"How did you manage when you and Pierre first got together. I know the press was pretty relentless on you."

She gathered her thoughts and began sharing. "It was fucking difficult. Privacy went out the window, and I knew whenever we went out in public we were under a constant eye even if the paps weren't around. There are a lot of people you can't trust, even if you're at a private restaurant, bar, or whatever. The fans can be horrible too with the hate."

I nodded at her and sipped my coffee. I was trying not to show my disappointment in her answer.

"But," she said as a smile grew on her face. "Pierre went out of his way to protect me from what he could, and it made us closer. I won't lie, it was extremely difficult to choose to be with him in the early days and there was definitely stress. But it was my best choice to stay, and the press grew tired and eventually stopped paying attention to us for the most part. Now it's nothing more than a mosquito bight when they bother me, and I've never been happier because of Pierre so who's the real winner," she said grinning

"You," I smiled finishing her sentence.

"Oh I know," she said comically. "Why do you ask? Are you trying to steal Pierre away from me again?"

I shook my head laughing. "Only in my dreams." I sighed and decided to share further. "It hasn't been bad yet, but a pretty direct picture dropped of Florence and I yesterday. I know choosing to be with a driver is also a choice to sacrifice your private life. I still need to talk to her about it, but I'm genuinely worried that it may pull her away."

"She does seem to be very private and focused, but I think it's safe to say she has some fight in her. And regardless of how private you two try to be," she said through gritted teeth making me laugh. "Which can be annoying, it's clear you both are really into each other."

I smiled looking out to the water, I appreciated Kika. She was wonderful as her own person, and I know Pierre loved her to pieces and vice versa. "Thanks Kika."

"Anytime," she said reaching for the book she brought up to the deck.

"I think I'm gonna cook up some breakfast, want anything specific?"