Chapter 27

I always imagined a greatest sports achievement of any team or person to have the most dramatic story surrounding it. A moment where the the champion was out, in the dumps, but managed to claw their way to biggest upset or surprise ever.
I lived for those stories, they could make me a pile of emotions if I caught them on the right day.

The US Mens hockey team with THE MIRACLE on ice. As an Italian, the famous head-but that led to the greatest World Cup win in history.

As for women, Brandi Chastain, the US player that ripped her shirt off when she made the winning PK. There was my idol Serena Williams, her list of achievements too long to name but she always loved the flare of the game.

There was drama, the  moments where you couldn't believe your eyes. Watching past races with Charles, his first wins epic from the honorable celebration to the next week being able to party with all of Italy, it was inspiring.

In this very moment, it was a serve standing in the way of a victory. It wasn't make or break, it wasn't the last possible point of the match and loser goes home, it wasn't the shift of momentum everyone was cheering for, and it wasn't a lengthy record breaking match.

It was a serve to win the second set 4-6, my break point coming off my opponents first service game.  The first set was won in a tie break 7-4.

116 minutes of managing ups and downs, but overall control of the match with no dropped service games. It was a match of confidence and happiness, feeling connected with my racket the entire time. My feet confidently approaching the net, playing the finesse game I adored.

I stared across the court listening the crowd quiet, my favorite people's voices coming from my box. Then silence while I kept my eyes on my opponent. I dropped my head bouncing the ball and took a deep breath. Swing away my love, my mom's voice ringing through my ears.

The serve was in, the ball blocked back to me. The next pass strong to the deep court. Jessica returned a mid court shot to me, my feet moving me to the ball. The perfect slice swing coming off my racket as I watched the ball clear the net with a backspin, Jessica crashing toward the front of the court while I waited at the net. The ball never came back. I watched it bounce once, then twice as Jessica's racket made contact. It was over.

I turned with a yell escaping my lips. The court went blurry, my vision failing while tears filled my eyes. My racket flew out of my hands, and I was on my back in a second. My body completely out of my control as my mind processed the reality, I just won the US Open.

I took a few deep breaths letting the sound come to me, the crowd buzzing while I opened my eyes. I pulled my legs under me finding my feet and making it to the net. Jessica waiting with a congratulations as we hugged over the net. When we parted there was only one thing I could do. I set my eyes to my box, everyone celebrating and hugging.

I ran as fast as I could towards my box jumping over the barrier and skipping steps up to where I could get to them. I felt pats on my shoulders and screams of congratulations around me.

My dad and I made eye contact first, I could tell tears were escaping the closer I got. I made it into my box throwing my arms around him, my dad's arms locking around me. We stayed close forehead to forehead.

"Magnifico kiddo, Magnifico," his voice breaking with emotion. "I am so proud of you."

"Thank you dad, for everything," I sobbed back tears flowing. I felt the pull of Daniel on my shoulder.

"Go celebrate," my dad whispered smiling at me. We released our embrace, my body being tugged into Daniel's with endless congratulations. Next came my my manager Hannah, then Frazier. High-fives and hugs exchanged, words of thanks and celebration leaving our mouths. It was a blur until Laurie pulled me into a jumping embrace next.