Chapter 54

CHARLES POV:

In some ways it all felt fairly full circle while I bounced in my seat. Florence was playing Iga again in a semi-final. The difference was I sat next to Gregor and Daniel and was very much a part of the team in the box. My knee couldn't stop moving which was shaking my whole body while the first set started.

"Jesus kid, calm that knee down," Gregor said firmly placing his hand on my knee to steady it. "You're gonna make me nervous if you keep this up."

"Sorry," I whispered out. "Just worried for her."

"That makes two of us," Gregor said calmly next to me. "Keep those sunglasses down and let your eyes do the worrying. Rest of the body stays calm," Gregor offered out.

I let out a huh surprised by his comment. I pulled the sunglasses down onto my nose so it would cover my eyes. "That's your move isn't it," I said realizing why he did it for every match even if it wasn't sunny.

"Busted," Gregor offered out. "It helps, trust me."

"Thanks, I believe it," I said with a smile.

"How'd she feel this morning," Gregor asked curiously while we watched the first serves of the opening set. Florence was playing well while we sat in silence during play then continued talking during breaks in the point.

"Fine, still kinda in the same health. She did get sick this morning but thinks it's related to stress. In terms of fatigue she claimed to feel way more energized than she has. Plus Florence ate better than I've seen since being here."

Gregor nodded looking back at the match. "Good," he said simply. I took a sip of my beer trying to focus on the court. Florence protected her serve and was now taking on Iga's service game. "I was worried you were going to tell me I'd be a grandpa."

I choked up on the beer I was sipping feeling it flush into my sinuses. The cough couldn't be controlled as I cleared out the beer I choked on. My sunglasses fell into my lap while I bent over trying to control myself.

"No," I coughed out. "Can confirm no grandpa status for you Gregor."

I looked over to Gregor who looked amused at my state. Beside him Daniel pulled down his sunglasses trying to hide his response as well.

"Pull yourself together Charles, you're going to distract my daughter," he chuckled as I finally cleared my system. I grabbed my sunglasses and put them back on and cleared my throat.

"You're cruel," I said with a laugh.

"Cruel maybe but a concerned father."

I shook my head and focused back on the game, Iga was getting ready to win her service game as well. It was going to be a long match. "Fair play sir," I smiled.

"Andiamo Florence," Gregor said turning his attention back to the match.

I repeated his let's go to Florence as well.

~

The cheers dumped out of me as Florence had Iga on break point at 30-40. It was 4-4 in the third set. Florence taking the first set with Iga winning the second. The third set had been excruciating to watch as Florence battled each point with her toughest efforts. Until this point, Iga had protected her serve with ease while Florence battled to keep her serve. Two of her service games went into multiple deuce points that she managed to get out of. This was the moment of the match, the break she needed because momentum had been going for Iga the whole set.

"Focus, right here. You got this Flo," I let out with my final yell before taking my seat and the crowd silenced.

I listened and watched while Iga bounced the ball during her first serve. It was in. Florence was able to send back a neutral ball. Nothing dangerous or easy, a ball to start the rally. I could tell Florence had been battling. She was a quiet player but it was impossible to ignore the sound she made when she hit back a shot this set. The grunts coming out of her when she had to reach. She was pushing hard each swing.