Chapter 4

The alarm clock blares, echoing around the room. Hinata's head shoots up from his pillow, his loud snoring cut off by his wake. He wipes the drool dripping out of his mouth and slams the alarm clock off aggressively.

He lets out a long yawn as he rubs his eyes, fighting the need to sleep again. He grabs his phone from his bedside table and checks for any notifications. His eyes automatically see Yachi's message pop up.

-----

I won't be able to go to school today

Mother's sick so I have to take care
of her

If you see Hana~chan tell her to get
the advertisement poster from
my locker

She won't reply to me

-----

Hinata pouts as he reads the messages, saddened at the fact that he won't be with his coffee buddy today. Looks like he has to buy coffee by himself this morning.

~~~~~

Hinata enters his classroom while drinking his usual coffee. He gives no mind to the few students around the room but he does notice Kageyama in his seat.

If Hinata could greet him he would, that is if Kageyama was awake at the moment.

He watches as Kageyama lays his head on his arm, his head slightly tilting upwards toward him. Hinata doesn't fail to notice the light bags under his eyes, it wasn't that obvious, but if you were close enough you would see it.

This concerns Hinata. Did he not sleep last night?

Hinata glances at his coffee then back at Kageyama. With a determined look, he chugs down his coffee, ignoring the weird looks he got, and immediately runs out of the classroom and out of the school.

Hinata was glad Kageyama wasn't awake at the moment because he would've bickered with Hinata about how he was "fine" and "not tired". Besides, he feels like he owes Kageyama another coffee because of the accidentally offending things he had said to him.

Kageyama's head shoots up from his arms, waking up abruptly from his muscles aching painfully. His whole body was shivering slightly and he knew it wasn't from the cold.

Kageyama sighs heavily, rubbing his hands up and down his arms in hopes to ease the ache.

Once it began to subdue, he was ready to sleep again as he feels his eyes go heavy again. But the sounds of the students' murmurs reach his ears.

"Isn't that the King of the Court?" "He is. I heard he left Seijoh because they kicked him out." "Really, they kicked out their own captain?" "What? I heard that he left by his own will but was forcefully transferred here because the students there didn't appreciate him being the reason Seijoh lost the last match." "That's even more fucked up." "I still believe they kicked him out. I mean come on, he was an asshole!" "True."

Kageyama clenches his fists under his desk, his teeth gritting in irritation. He was trying his best not to show his aggression but it fails when he harshly grabs the hoodie under his uniform and places it over his head. He lets his head fall on his arms with the table rattling in the process, hoping they would shut up.

One of the men behind him snickers when he saw Kageyama's aggression. "See? Asshole."

Kageyama grips the sleeves of his uniform, fists clenching tighter until his knuckles turn white. He squeezes his ears with his shoulder in hopes to block out their irritating voices.

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Just shut up.

"Kageyama!"

The said man gets startled by the loud voice that echoed around the quiet room. His head stays between his arms, hoping it was believable that he was sleeping. He does not want to deal with this right now.

It stays quiet for a moment and Kageyama thinks it worked, his body relaxing a bit. Until he felt his hood being moved and something cold was placed on top of his head.

His head shoots up from his arm, glaring at Hinata in front of him. "What the hell was that for?!" He snaps as he scratches his hair, feeling the cold liquid that dropped from the coffee cup.

Hinata pouts at the harsh tone, glaring back at Kageyama. "I knew you were awake, your hood was off earlier." Kageyama's eye twitches in annoyance, unpleasant with the fact that he was caught that easily.

Hinata smiles smugly when he didn't get any replies from Kageyama before handing him his favorite coffee. "I bought you coffee because you seem tired!" Kageyama looks at the drink skeptically before looking at Hinata, narrowing his eyes at him.

"I didn't ask you to do that." Kageyama mumbles but accepts the drink anyway. Hinata smiles guiltily at his words, rubbing his nape as he lets out a forced chuckle. "Well, I offended you a lot yesterday so I thought I'd make it up to you anyway."

Kageyama looks up from his drink in shock, his eyebrows raised. He was still thinking about that? He thought by now Hinata would've forgotten everything about what happened yesterday since they were still strangers. But it seems like he thought wrong.

"It's fine...I guess. You still didn't have to buy me coffee though." Kageyama mumbles as he just fiddles with the cup in his hands. "Well, you look like you need one anyway. Did you stay up all night doing homework?" Hinata asks as he takes a seat beside him, looking at him with curiosity.

Kageyama furrows his eyebrows as he watches Hinata set his bag down on the ground. "That's not your desk..." He mentions. Hinata just grins at him and waves him off. "They're not here yet anyway. So, what were you doing last night to make you this tired?"

Kageyama purses his lips, tensing up at the topic. He was guilty that Hinata was open to him yet he was not. But his choice of subject was the last thing he wanted to talk about as it reminded him of his situation.

"Not much. I slept early. I just get tired easily." The lie slips off his tongue with ease, answering the questions Hinata had in mind in hopes he wouldn't ask anything else. "Ah I see, that must be tough. You might fall asleep in class!" Kageyama tenses even more at his words, giving him a nod. Kageyama doesn't blame him for being clueless about the topic, then again he should've probably noticed the signs by now.

"Hey, you wanna stop by the gym later? I can introduce you to my friends and maybe we can play-" "No." The cold tone surprises Hinata and it sounded more frustrated than yesterday.

Kageyama was quick to realize that it came out harsher than intended, rubbing his hand down his face stressfully. "Sorry...I'm not ready to meet your friends yet. Can you go back to your seat?"

Hinata looks at him with sad eyes, a little hurt. He feared he had said something insensitive again so he quickly nods and headed to his desk with no words said.

Murmurs of the other students at the back catch Hinata's attention as he listens in on their conversation after he heard Kageyama's name come out of their mouths. "Tsk, he's being an asshole here too." "It's a good thing he didn't join the volleyball club here. He would ruin our school's reputation if he did."

Hinata furrows his eyebrows at what he was hearing, though he did not say anything as he didn't understand why they were calling Kageyama an asshole. Hinata glances back at the dark-haired man, who was just as tense as earlier. It was obvious that he heard everything they said.

Is that why he refused to join? Hinata continues to stare at Kageyama's back worriedly, the hurt he had felt has dissipated. Now, he was just concerned about him.