Chapter 22

Hinata barges into the hospital, panting as sweat rolls down his temple. He startles some people inside but he doesn't give them any mind, immediately asking the nurse to where Kageyama's operating room was.

The nurse refuses to give him the answer, telling him he could not see the operation unless he was a family member.

Hinata curses, his patience wearing thin. He tries again but this time, the nurse sternly tells him she will call the security if he refuses to listen. Hinata scoffs, defeated as he backs away from the desk angrily. But he stops when he hears someone call out to him.

He turns his head to the hallway beside him and sees Miwa running toward him with relief in her eyes. "Miwa~san!" He calls out as she stops in front of him, panting.

"We have no time left! Nurses are searching around the building for anyone who's willing to donate. We have to help look!" Miwa urges him, grabbing his wrist to pull him with her but he places a hand on top of hers, stopping her in her tracks.

"Can I see him?" Hinata asks with pleading eyes. Miwa purses her lips, looking at the direction she came from before sighing. "Hinata-"

"Please..."

The desperation in his voice makes Miwa wince, her heart breaking at the tears welling up in his eyes. Miwa slumps her shoulder, sighing as she gives him a nod. Hinata gives her a thankful nod before following her with rushed steps.

His heart was pounding, his anxiety making him hard to breathe. His steps felt heavier the more he feels himself getting closer to the room and when he arrives, his knees nearly gave out at the sight.

Through the glass window was Kageyama, laying on an operating table, unconscious as the doctors try their best to help him while the nurses were still trying to find some donators. His heart monitor was beating painfully slow and it scares Hinata to imagine that it would stop at any second.

Hinata presses his hand against the glass, staring at Kageyama with teary eyes.

"Hang in there, Tobio. Please..." He begs as he feels his tears finally drop. "Please...please, Tobio. Live for us..."

~~~~~

Everything was dark. The noises were muffled in Kageyama's ears as he stays in the darkness. He was confused, lost, and scared. What's happening? Am I still at the hospital? Did I make it?

He begins to see flashes of light, making him wince. He was confused, lost, it gave him an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach. But, shortly after, that was when he realized what was happening. He was so close to dying.

Kageyama panics, desperately trying to run away from the light. But it was as if the light was faster than him, easily catching up to him. He was losing his life, he wasn't ready to. He still wants to try lots of things with his friends, play volleyball again and continue his passion for it. He wanted so many things to do, he was only 18, he can't die like this.

He can't. Not when he never got to tell Hinata everything. His full story, from his childhood memories to his volleyball passion. He wants to know more about him and his friends. He never got to tell him how he truly felt, all because he was so scared to say it earlier.

The light catches him and he cries, trying to scream at the void to stop but no voice comes out. He tries to call for help, to get out of this nightmare but he was met with silence.

Nobody was there.

"Tobio, I'm here!"

Kageyama's ears perk up at the voice, the voice he was longing to hear once more.

A blurry vision of Hinata in the distance appears in front of him, his arm raised to lend Kageyama a hand. "Tobio! Let's get coffee together! My treat!" Kageyama could see the grin on Hinata's face and it makes his stomach churn.

And his laugh...his beautiful laugh. Kageyama wants to hear it again and again as it always calms him down, making him feel safe. Everything soon dies down and Hinata's figure disappears in the distance, his voice getting distant as he calls for Kageyama.

Kageyama swallows a lump in his throat, knowing very well it was all just an imagination, a sign of his last moments. He sobs, his shoulder sagging in defeat as he accepts his fate, unable to fight any longer.

He could at least hope that he would go to heaven so he could see Hinata again.

I'm so sorry, everyone...I'm sorry, Shoyo...

~~~~~

Hinata talks to the people sitting on the bench outside of patients' rooms, asking them for someone, anyone, to donate a small intestine. A lot of them refused, refusing to let their family member or friend give away their intestine.

Hinata was running out of hope, feeling helpless as all the people he asked refused him. He starts getting frustrated, trying to convince some people to help him.

It got to the point where it scared everyone in the hospital and nearly got security called on him if it weren't for a nurse, who knew him after his visits. She told him that she found a patient who promised to donate all their organs after they die.

Hinata feels relieved and thanks her a lot of times, bowing down to her to show respect but to also hide the tears welling up in his eyes. He abruptly stands straight and excuses himself, running back to the operating room to find Miwa and tell her the news.

But he stops when he sees her bent down in the distance, a hand on her mouth as she sobs. Hinata stood frozen in his spot, not wanting to move and see the reason she was crying at.

He wants to believe she was crying in relief, just too happy to see Kageyama alive. But he knows, he knows from Miwa's broken cries that Kageyama was far from being alive.

Slowly and hesitantly, he takes a step forward. He takes his time, not wanting to see the view just yet. His heart is pounding hard, his breathy shaky as he gets closer and closer to the room.

Please...

Hinata stops a foot away beside Miwa's form, his body refusing to look at the glass window.

Please don't...

The doctor steps out of the room, looking at the two people in front of him in sympathy and guilt. "I'm sorry..."

No. He's not...

Hinata gulps, his head turning to the side to confirm reality. His eyes widen, tears continuously rolling down his cheeks. His legs were shaking, his knees nearly giving out as he places his hand on the wall in time for support. But his hand also lost its strength as he kneels down on the cold floor, staring at the white wall in disbelief.

He could practically hear the muffled flat line coming from the room and it sickens him. He was unaware of the sob that erupted from his throat, followed by another until he couldn't stop them all.

Miwa moves from her spot and shuffles closer to Hinata, giving him a side hug as she buries her face on his shoulder, muffling her cries.

They both stayed on the cold floor, crying over the death of the man they loved.