Chapter 6

Yachi huffs out a puff of air, the cold air turning her breath into icicles. She waits on the bench outside the cafe, waiting for Hinata to come out with their drinks.

Speaking of her friend, she had been noticing he had been acting for the past few days. Ever since he mentioned to her that he was seeing someone for coffee he seemed more...cheerful. It wasn't a bad thing, but it's like his happiness increased a lot more when he met this "someone".

Whoever it is, Yachi wishes he tells everything to her soon. Being his best friend and all. She's happy that he's happy but it was something she wasn't used to despite his enthusiastic and eccentric behaviour.

"Hey, I got our coffee!" Yachi gets startled when Hinata calls out as he leaves the cafe. He hands her the coffee and she sends him a smile as thanks before it forms into confusion.

"Hinata?" The said man hums as he drinks his coffee. "This isn't my drink."

"Huh?!" Hinata grabs the coffee out of Yachi's hand and takes a look at the coffee. Dark Chocolate Espresso. Hinata curses inwardly. He had bought Kageyama's drink by accident.

"I'm so sorry, Yachi! I'll go buy your drink or are you okay drinking this one?" Yachi immediately declines his offer, giving him a reassuring smile. "No need. It's fine. Don't waste your money on it. You can give it to Yamaguchi if you want."

"Are you sure?" Hinata watches in concern as Yachi stands up and brushes off the snow that appeared on his lap. "Yeah. Besides, I don't drink that." Yachi scrunches her face to emphasize her point. "Come on, we have 30 minutes left before class starts."

Hinata nods and follows behind her, drinking his coffee while the other stays full.

~~~~~

"Bye Yachi! See you later!" Hinata waves at Yachi before he enters his classroom, already expecting a few students already there.

Kageyama almost immediately notices him and his eyes light up every so slightly. Hinata only notices him when he felt his stare, meeting his puppy eyes staring at the coffee cup in his hand.

A chuckle escapes Hinata's mouth and he decided to give the coffee to Kageyama instead since it was his favorite.

"Were you expecting me?" Hinata can't help but joke, his grin widening. Kageyama's eyes widened, not sure how to respond to that, but he could feel his face getting warm from embarrassment.

Kageyama clicks his tongue and grumpily the coffee out of Hinata's hands. "Don't get your hopes up." He mumbles and Hinata just laughs at him before he takes a seat beside him, ignoring his protests.

"Hey, my friends are planning to study over at my place for the exams. Do you want to come with?"

Kageyama blinks up at him, feeling hesitant yet again. He swallows a lump in his throat, forcing his anxiety down. Come on, this is your chance. Don't fuck this up.

As if sensing his hesitance, Hinata places a reassuring hand on his shoulder. Kageyama jumps at the contact before slightly relaxing, looking at Hinata curiously. "You don't have to, don't worry. I know you said you want to meet them someday but it doesn't have to be now." Hinata sends him an assuring smile that makes Kageyama effectively relax a little.

Kageyama averts his gaze and focused on his shaking hands. Hinata follows his sight and concern forms on his face as he watches Kageyama's hands shake uncontrollably. Slowly, Hinata moves his hand to one of his hands, softly gripping it to help Kageyama relax.

Kageyama stares at the hand holding his with his lips parted, feeling the soft skin over his. He glances at Hinata who was staring back at him with a soft smile displayed on his lips, his eyes full of comfort and assurance. It made Kageyama feel somehow safe.