Chapter 19

-----

Yachi
Hey!! What time are we meeting
up later for the festival?

Yamaguchi
Probably 8 pm? So we have time to
look around before the fireworks start

Tsukishima
That's fine by me

Yachi
@Hinata are you gonna come by or not?
Seen

-----

Kageyama looks at the messages sent by his friends 2 hours ago. Although he was happy for them to still hang out together, it makes him feel bad that he won't be there with them.

It was New Year's Eve and he was hoping to spend it with his friends or his sister. But seems that they have other plans and his sister has to cover up her co-worker's shift. He lets out an irritable sigh through his nose as he shuts his phone down, regretting checking it for the first time in days.

Looks like he's going to spend New Year's alone.

But Kageyama's sorrowful mood dissipates as he hears the door slam open with a cheerful voice greeting him. His head turns to the source of the sound with a small smile but his expression changes into surprise as he spots another person.

"Big brother Tobio, hi!" Natsu greets as she enters the room with her brother, similar grins latched onto their faces as they approach Kageyama.

"Hi..." Kageyama mumbles awkwardly as he watches the 12-year-old make herself comfortable on the couch displayed in the room.

Hinata approaches him with a paper bag in hand, tilting his head at the sick man with an amused smile on his face. "I'm guessing you just woke up but you're still feeling tired?"

Kageyama nods, amusement written on his face as he watches Hinata chuckle and pulls out a coffee cup from the paper bag. "Yeah...how did you know?"

He receives a smug look as Hinata proudly explains. "It's easy! You mostly fall asleep for 10 hours around 5 am then wake up around 3 or 4 pm then fall asleep again for 2 hours around 7 pm!"

A dumbfounded look was etched onto Kageyama's face to which he was laughed at by Hinata. "Why so surprised? I've been here with you for days of course I'd notice your sleep schedule!" Kageyama feels himself grow embarrassed, shyly turning his head away as he mutters. "I just didn't think you'd actually pay attention."

Hinata tilts his head in confusion and before he could utter a word, his sister beats him to it.

"Of course, he'll pay attention. Big brother always talks about how he cares about you and was willing to spend every day with you." Natsu points out innocently. Hinata sputters and slams his palm on Natsu's mouth to prevent her from saying anything else. "W-Whatttt??? Pfft, I- I don't know what you're talking about! Hehehehe..."

In the midst of his stuttering, he fails to see the small smile on Kageyama's face, watching the scene with softened eyes. It warms his heart knowing that no matter what, Hinata would still stay by his side. Though the guilt he was feeling right beneath was strong as he thinks the possibility of his health worsening.

Kageyama purses his lips, his body feeling tense as the bad thoughts keep interrupting his good ones. He turns to Hinata with a forced smile as he tries to forget his thoughts. "Everyone's planning to go to the festival later, aren't you going to join them?"

Hinata simply shakes his head with a smile. "Nope. I was planning to celebrate with you!"

It was the first time Kageyama wasn't surprised by his antics. At this point, it was clear to him that whatever decision was thrown to Hinata, he would always choose Kageyama, the simple guy he met after spilling coffee onto his uniform.