Chapter 16

A gasp comes out of Kageyama's mouth as he jerks awake. He pants as he tries to calm his racing heartbeat, sweat running down his head and onto the pillow. He yelps as he feels the sharp pain and throb in his knee.

He lets out a quiet curse as he curls the white sheets in his palm, his grip tight. But he freezes when he feels something warm against his hand, making him look to the side as he sees the hand on top of his.

Kageyama's eyes widen in surprise when he sees the certain ginger head, staring half-lidded at the floor, completely unaware of the man awake beside him.

It was when Kageyama called out his name did Hinata come back to his senses.

"Tobio!" Hinata fixes his posture as he turns his body to the sick man, gazing into his eyes with worry. "H-How are you feeling?"

No response was heard as Kageyama continues to stare at him in shock, his mouth agape as his eyes meet the light brown eyes staring back at him. "Why are you here? How did you know? I never told anyone! I-"

Kageyama rambles on and Hinata squeezes his hand to calm his nerves. "I met your sister hours ago." He sees Kageyama's eyes widen in shock and he gives him a tight-lipped smile. "She told me about your condition."

Kageyama slowly looks away in guilt, his eyebrows arched as he starts to worry. He starts to overthink, the thought of Hinata hating him for not telling him something so serious plagues his mind and it haunts him.

Almost immediately, Hinata notices the troubled expression on the stoic man's face. He gives his hand another reassuring squeeze, offering him a soft smile. "Will you tell me everything now?"

Those words make Kageyama tense up, his head lowering as he lets his hair shadow over his eyes. He was hesitant, he wasn't sure if Hinata would even look at him the same after he tells him everything he's been waiting for. But seeing the comforting smile on Hinata's face, it was enough to get him to start talking.

Kageyama starts explaining everything slowly, in great detail than Miwa said. Hinata listens thoroughly even though it was hurting him inside. He listens as Kageyama explains how he has been suffering secretly, with nobody noticing, nor his sister. He listens as Kageyama explains how he would wish everything that was happening was just a dream, that he's just in a long nightmare then when he wakes up, he can play volleyball again.

Hinata tries not to cry, not when the person he was listening to is the one in pain. He spots a single tear running down Kageyama's face and the way his lips were shaking ever so slightly. He stays silent, choosing not to talk amid Kageyama's talking.

"You know..." Kageyama trails off. "Sometimes...I can't help but think I deserved this."

Hinata frowns upon hearing those words, his teeth gritted as he speaks in a stern tone. "Don't say that."

A scoff was heard from Kageyama as he shakes his head at Hinata's words. "Do you know why I was called the King of the Court?" Hinata purses his lips as he remembers the discomfort look on Kageyama's face whenever people call him that. He shakes his head in response.

Kageyama smiles bitterly, letting out a small sigh through his nose. "I wasn't called the King because I was cool and one of the strongest players in Seijoh." Hinata tilts his head in confusion and Kageyama chuckles breathily at his reaction. "It was because I was an arrogant captain back in middle school."

A look of shock forms on Hinata's face despite his best to refrain from it. Kageyama turns his head away from the sight as he tries not to get hurt from the sight. "My tosses were too extreme for my teammates that they couldn't match my speed. I would yell at them for not trying their best and they would yell back. I really wish I had listened to them."

"After I graduated, that's when I felt myself getting sick. It was almost as if it was my karma. As if it was to learn my lesson." A saddened smile forms on Kageyama's face as his fists clench on the sheets. "That's why...maybe I deserved it, you know?"

"Shut up."

The cold tone makes Kageyama flinch, turning his head in shock as he looks at Hinata who was glaring at him. Kageyama was surprised to see the tears streaming down his face, his lip wobbling as he stares at the stoic man in anger.

"You can't say that you deserve to suffer like this! Nobody deserves to!" As Hinata started yelling, Kageyama feels himself tense up in shame. "Those were all from the past! People change and it's okay if you're still haunted by memories from middle school but never say that you deserve to suffer!"

Kageyama doesn't have it in him to look Hinata in the eyes. How could he when Hinata was crying right in front of him? It guilts him. He purses his lips as he lowers his head, letting shame take over him. But he doesn't deny his thoughts earlier. I really did deserve this...

"I'm sorry..." Those were the only words that left his lips and it was followed by silence.

During those few seconds of silence, Kageyama was sure Hinata hated him now. After learning the whole truth, who wouldn't? An arrogant "king" like him didn't deserve to be liked.

But he was surprised when he felt arms wrap around his neck and a body getting thrown on top of him. Kageyama blinks when ginger hair strands cover his vision. He looks down and sees Hinata with his face buried in Kageyama's shoulder, muffled sniffles heard from the fabric.

"Please...don't ever say that again, Tobio." Hinata almost pleads, his grip subconsciously tightening. Kageyama was quick to recover from his shock, a small smile on his face as he slowly places his arm on Hinata's back in an attempt to hug back.

"I'll try."

~~~~~

Miwa lets out a long relieved sigh as she finally finishes her shift. She checks her watch and sees it was nearly midnight. She clicks her tongue as she stands up from her chair, stretching her limbs with a yawn.

"Hey, Katsu! I'll get going now!" She calls out to her co-worker as she throws her bag over her shoulder. Her co-worker lets out a hum and waves goodbye to her. "Alright, see you tomorrow!" The dark-haired woman waves back before she leaves the shop and went straight to her car.

Miwa didn't go home straight away, instead, she goes to the hospital as she figured her brother was probably awake by now.

She peacefully drives to her destination, humming along to the music on the radio as she drives.

Fortunately, it didn't take long for her to reach the hospital. She parks her car and heads inside the building with a bag of ordered food in her hand. She walks her way down the hall, already memorizing Kageyama's room before she spots the certain room number.

Miwa knocks first before she enters the room. "Hey, I got-" She stops halfway when she stares at the scene in front of her, taken aback.

There on the hospital bed were two figures sleeping in a sitting position. The certain ginger head Miwa met earlier was leaning against her brother, his head on his shoulder as Kageyama's head was on top of his. Both of them were sleeping peacefully, minus the drool slipping out of Hinata's mouth, quiet snores erupting from them.

Miwa finds herself smiling at the sight, feeling happy for her brother. She quietly places the bag of food on the table beside Kageyama's bed, trying her best not to wake the two men up. She fixes her posture and pauses for a moment, looking at her brother with soft eyes.

She chuckles and pats her brother's head gently, stopping when she feels him shift in his spot for a moment before relaxing against Hinata's side. She smiles at the sight before she retracts her hand, heading towards the door and leaving.

The smile on her face never leaves even as she was on her way to the parking lot. She was thankful to that ginger head man, thankful that her brother finally found happiness in someone.