Chapter 10

The sound of people chatting faintly along with dogs barking fills Kageyama's ears as he walks with his friends to the park. Despite the cold air, the sun was helping to warm up a bit.

He looks up ahead where the others were walking, chatting alone as they try to find a perfect spot to rest.

"Who's idea was it to go to a park when it's snowing?" He hears Tsukishima as he stuffs his gloved hands in his coat pocket. "Hey, it'd be great to have some fresh air!" Yachi says. "We can't always spend our break inside our houses!"

"You sound like a damn mom," Tsukishima grumbles under his breath as Yamaguchi chuckles beside him.

Kageyama walks silently with them as he listens to their conversation. By now, he was used to their playful fights and learned not to interfere or question them.

A loud bark catches everyone's attention as they turn their head in one direction, seeing a dog running at them at full speed as its owner was chasing it down panicked, the dog's leash getting dragged on the snowy grass.

Everyone moves out of the way but a distracted Hinata was unaware of the dog running towards him. When the dog barked loudly did it only catches Hinata's attention as he looks up from his phone and sees the dog right in front of him.

He gets startled and jumps out of the way with a yelp, clinging onto the person beside him until they lose balance and fall to the ground. The dog passes by and the owner briefly apologizes to them before running after their dog, calling out its name.

"Are you guys okay?!" Yamaguchi rushes to Hinata down on the ground, a worried look on his face.

Hinata lets out a grunt as he pulls himself up from the person below him. He opens his and realizes that the person he had jumped into was Kageyama. They both stare at each other awkwardly before Hinata scrambles off him in a panic.

"I-I'm so sorry! Are you okay?! Are you hurt?!" Hinata rambles on as he stands up and offers Kageyama a hand with a concerned look.

A grunt came out of Kageyama's mouth as pulls his upper body off the ground and takes Hinata's hand, pulling himself up with a bit of struggle. "I'm fine."

Despite the light blush dusting Hinata's cheeks from embarrassment, the concern doesn't leave his face.

A laugh only breaks Hinata out of his worried state and he looks at Yachi laughing behind him. "You looked like your soul left your body earlier!" Yachi loses herself as she continues laughing hysterically.

The blush on Hinata's face worsens but the smile on his face indicates that he wasn't embarrassed. He laughs with her as he playfully shoves her shoulder. "Oh stop it!"

As Yachi continues to laugh harder than before, Hinata goes to tickle her as revenge. Yachi screeches and tries to escape Hinata's hold but he chases after her, laughing along with her as they run around the park.

Kageyama watches them as they chase each other around. An uncomfortable feeling starts to bubble up inside him, eyebrows furrowing as he stares at the scene. He was confused. Why does my heart feel like something's crushing it? Did my condition get worse?

Yamaguchi turns to the confused man, seeing how he was silent. "Are you alright? Were you hurt?" He asks in concern and he catches Tsukishima's attention as the both of them look at Kageyama questionably.

For a moment, Kageyama was more confused than before about what to say. Does what I'm feeling right now count as hurt? His mind was racing with thoughts that all he could do was simply shake his head to answer.

Yamaguchi awkwardly nods at him. He turns to his friends who were running around, putting a hand next to his mouth to increase the volume of his voice. "Guys! Come on, I'm hungry!"

The two pause their playful fight as they hear Yamaguchi call out to them. Hinata gives Yachi one last poke on her side before running back to the group, his laugh heard around the park.

Hinata returns to Kageyama's side and gives him a smile. Suddenly, the uncomfortable feeling Kageyama felt earlier was gone and he feels calmer as he feels his presence beside him.

Yachi also returns back to them, crouching down and letting her hands rest on her knees as she catches her breath. "Somebody finally had exercise." Tsukishima jokes with a snicker. Yachi gives him a playful glare as she fixes her posture. "Shut up."

"Alright. come on! I think I saw a food truck nearby!" Yachi exclaims as she ventures forward.

As everyone else goes to follow her, Hinata notices Kageyama raise his hands beside him, rubbing them together while blowing warm breath onto them. "Where are your gloves?" Hinata asks as he takes note of how pale Kageyama's hands were. His fingers tips were showing a prominent shade of blue and purple.

The man beside him glances at him briefly before blushing in embarrassment. "I forgot them at home." He mumbles a reply.

Kageyama hears nothing else from Hinata, much to his disappointment. He continues to try and warm his hands up, his cold breath not helping anything. But when he feels a pair of hands touch his clasped ones, he tenses in surprise.

He watches silently as Hinata gently grabs his hands and places thick gloves over them. There it was again, the soft skin briefly touching his as Hinata fixes the gloves with utmost care. The warmth of his skin surprised Kageyama as he wonders how Hinata could stay warm in weather like this.

Hinata's touch lingers for a moment, letting his fingers stay on the hem of the glove before letting go. He looks up at Kageyama with a smile. "You're lucky I know you well enough to know you're forgetful."

Kageyama stares at him for a moment, the words slowly processing in his head before his face forms into an offended look. "Hey! I'm not forgetful! It's just for today." He says in defense but all he gets was a teasing grin.

"Right~"

"Shut it!"

The sound of Hinata's laughter rings through Kageyama's ears as he turns to him curiously. "Ah! The tone's back! Just like when we first met!"

This catches Kageyama off guard as he starts to have some thoughts. It's been that long already? Have I changed that much? He recalls the times when he would be calmer and more resolved around Hinata than before, how he would just be silent as Hinata chats his ear off.

He doesn't know how or when he changed. All he thought was he was still the same, silently scolding Hinata for his stupidity.

His mind travels back to the first time they met. The way he was pushing Hinata away yet the man still found a way to befriend him despite the protests thrown in his way. Who knew a great bond would form after spilling someone's coffee?