III

114 AC
Kings landing

Word that prince Daemon had gone off to Valyria and returned, spread quick. Soon every lord and lady, even some common folk knew of this, and of course, they had questions.

Those of which no one had the answers to, only Daemon, who these couple of days did nothing but rest. Heal. Recover.

Viserys on the other hand, had the time of his life. His obsession with Old Valyria grew stronger while his health did the opposite. It didn't bother him, no, not now. Now he studied old texts, letters and runes, trying to find information on the old egg.

Can it hatch? Is it safe to hatch it? Who will be the rider?

...

"Daemon? It's me." Rhaenyra said at the door of his chambers.

He hummed in response.

She walked inside and sat down on the edge of his bed.

"Do you feel any better?" She questioned.

Daemon's face started to heal well, except for the cut next to his eyebrow from the fall off of Caraxes.

"Chest still hurts, everywhere else the pain is —" He coughed.

"Not that bad?" Rhaenyra guessed.

"Aye."

That followed an awkward silence, which Rhaenyra tried to fill.

"What will we name it, the dragon."

"It isn't for us to decide." He found himself whispering.

...

114 AC       A week later

"Daemon! "Daemon it hatched! Come look, you wont believe it 'till you come look at it yourself." Viserys yelled.

"What?" Daemon stood up as fast as he could, before entering the room reserved for the egg.

Viserys was right, he couldn't believe it.

From the shell had escaped a pearl white dragonhead, at least twice the size of a normal one. He admired the little dragon, letting a smile enter his features.

Then he heard it.

A small girl babe, hair as white as snow cried on the hot rocks, finally escaping the shell of the egg.

Daemon lifted the babe up, ignoring his hands almost burning by the babe's skin.

"This is incredible ." Viserys spoke.

"It's like over time, the magic of Valyria created itself in human form. She's the true blood of the dragon."

"She is the dragon." Daemon muttered.

The girl relaxed on the rogue prince's arms, while a nurse placed a small blanket on the babe. The white dragon jumped on Daemon's shoulders, being three times bigger that the small girl.

"What is to be her name, brother? I'll let you do the honor." Viserys said.

He thought about it for a second, then answered.

"Valyria."

"Ahh, what a name. That surely is fit for a princess of the realm. Valyria Targaryen will have a fine life here, under my protection." Viserys smiles.

"Yours?" Daemon questions. He looks down at the sleeping girl.

Viserys looked at him, confused.

"Well of course, this is the best place for her, and the dragon."

"I'll get her the best educators and trainers in the whole kindom, raise her like my of and —" Viserys walked infront of his brother, attempting to take the infant out of his hands, but suprisingly, the white dragon on his shoulders let out a low groan, while showing her sharp teeth.

This suprised the two Targaryens, making Viserys take several steps back.

You could almost see the grin on the other brothers face.

"Oh, fierce, aren't we? Alright, I'll let her stay there, okay?" Viserys smiled, with a hint of fear behind his eyes.

The dragon relaxed again on the prince's shoulders.

"You should take the dragon to the dragonpit, you don't want it roaming around the castle."

"I don't think it plans on leaving the babe's side." Daemon assumes.

"Well, make it. Who knows how fast this one is going to grow. Oh how the Valyrian magic sieges to amaze me. Why did you even go?"

"During the war, I had a feeling towards east. The longer I was there, the harder it was to stay away. I didn't plan on getting almost killed in the process, though."

"What lies in the ruins of our ancestors home? How vile is the place?"

"I cannot tell you much, brother. All i remeber is the blood red sky, and picking up the dragon egg from the centre of the city." He explained.

"It's almost like the egg wanted to be found." He added.

"Exacly." Viserys grinned.
"What a wonder you are, Valyria." He praised.

"I will have the maids set up a room for her, and a place for the dragon —" Daemon stopped listening at that moment, as his thoughts wandered elsewhere.

Was he going back to the Vale, alone? Of course his lady wife was there, but she was a bore anyways. Why did the sound of leaving feel odd, like something was left behind?

No. No he knew exacly what was being left behind.

"Could I take her with me, to the Vale?" His eyes held a hint of hope, something that you coudn't see  everyday.

"What? The princess must stay in the Red Keep, who knows what she can do. Here, she is safe and loved, she'll have Aegon and Aemond as her brothers, Healena and Rhaenyra as sisters. You know how excited she would be to have a little sister."

"No, no Viserys, you don't understand, —" He tried.

"End of discussion. She will stay here. And the dragon." The king commanded.

...

A knight ran towards the king's chambers, catching her breath before she opened the door.

"Your grace?" He yelled out.

"Yes? What is it?" He could see the worry and fear on the knight's face.

"I'm, I'm afraid that, princess Valyria's chambers catched fire, —"

"What?" The king stood up.

"The princess is well, your grace. The, the thing is, that it was her cradle that lit on fire first, with no one on sight. Your grace, come with me." He said.

Viserys followed him, only to find the princess's chambers completely black, the ash covering most of the surfaces.

He only could stare at the remains of the room.

"Where is the princess?" He mustered.

"With princess Rhaenyra, your grace."

"mhm."
"Well now she needs a new room. Alert the maids."

"Yes, your grace."

...