XVI

129 AC KINGS LANDING

The night was warm.

The Targaryens enjoyed a meal, together. Everyone came along, or at least tried to.

However, the dragon is never tamed for long. It was made to burn.

...

Jace and Helaena danced, Daemon and Rhaenyra giggeld at something that Valyria couldn't hear. Baela and Rhaena whispered by themselves, Luke listenend to the conversations in the room. Alicent, Otto and Viserys talked.

With all of this happening, Valyria didn't notice one's eyes almost burning a hole on her face.

She just stared down, fidgeting with her fork.

Suddenly, she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned, and saw Jace near her face.

"You didn't tell me about the betrothal."

She looked at him with her tired eyes.

"What makes you think I knew of it?"

"Val, I know you. You didn't seem surprised as we got the news. And besides, they tell you everything."

She smiled to herself.

"Smart boy."

He looked down, weighing his next words.

"What do you think of it?"

"The betrothal?" She questioned, unintested in the conversation.

For her, everything was simple. She did like the prince, even fancied him for a time. But this was only a political decision for her. Right?

"Yes, the betrothal?" He furred his eyebrows.

"I mean, we could be worse off." She answered bluntly.

He chuckled, looking into her eyes, but hers not meeting his.

"We could."

On the other side of the table, a prince stood up, as Viserys was taken out of the room.

The prince looked at Valyria, a strange look on his face.

"Final tribute. To the health of my nephews, Jace — Luke — and Joffrey. Each of them handsome, wise —"

Valyria put her head down.

"strong."

Jace's fists tightened.

"Aemond." Alicent warned.

"Come — let us drain our cups to these three — Strong boys."

Jace quickly stood up.

"I dare you to say that again."

"Why? 'Twas only a compliment. Do you not think yourself Strong?"

He stormed towards Aemond, which caused Valyria to stood up.

"Jace!" Rhaenyra yelled.

He punched Aemond straight to his face, before Aemond pushed him to the ground.

Valyria stood still, glancing at Daemon, rage in her eyes.

She ordered the guards to pull Jace off Aemond, which they quickly did.

Aemond laughed as both of the brown haired boys were taken away.

"Why would you say such a thing before these people?" Alicent raged.

"I was merely expressing how proud I am of my family, Mother. Mmm. Though it seems my nephews aren't quite as proud of theirs."

Jace tried to ran to him, but the guards kept him away as Daemon went in between them.

Valyria went on the other side, facing Aemond with her hands behind her back.

"Go to your quarters. All of you go, now." Rhaenyra ordered to the children.

Valyria walked closer to Aemond, putting one of her hand on his chest. She pushed him out of the room, her following.

"What — is wrong with you? Why would you do that?" She calmly said.

"I was only stating facts. Did I not?"

Valyria looked around them with no one on sight.

"The truth is what the king says. Jacarys is your future king."

"And you his future queen?" He looked down to meet her eyes.

"Is that how it is to be? You, this warrior, born from death. You, who rides the white warrior, is to be some boy's queen consort? Is that how you want it?"

She looked down.

"It is not about what I want. This is good for the realm." She now faced him.

He didn't answer, not giving even a clever comment.

He looked into her purple eyes, now the two being inches apart.

She heard his slow breathing, and saw his calm expression.

She noticed him slowly leaning in.

"What are you —"

His lips were now slightly touching hers, and she swore that he could hear her quick heartbeat.

As he noticed her not pulling out, he pressed his lips on hers.

He put his hands on her lower back.

The kiss was gentle, not what she had imagined for her first.

But it ended as quickly as it started, as she leaned back, looking around them.

"There's no one here, Valyria." He stared at her with his lustful eyes.

She still looked away, but Aemond took his hand and turned her head by touching her chin.

"I, I can't." She managed to say.

"Yes, you can."

She shook her head, still looking into his eyes.

"No. I have a job to do, a war to fight. And you're on the opposite side —"

"We could be fighting together, just you and me."

"No—"

"You know we could do it. We have the largest dragons in the whole world, Valyria —"

"No, Aemond." She said as she hurried out of the hallway.

...

Let me know what you think of the story as for now!