XVII

129 AC DRAGONSTONE

The blacks had arrived late at night, and now they were all off to their own things.

In truth, Valyria hadn't seen or heard from them since the arrival.

She had sat on the ground for hours, the only warmth coming from her dragon.

Irudy seemingly grew every minute, now being almost the size of Vhagar.

The two were similar by comparison, but Irudy still looked young, her structure being harsh and her reflexes stayed fast.

Valyria had her eyes closed, and her back leaned against Irudy's chest.

"Skoros issi ao ūndegon, Irudy?"
(What is it that you see, Irudy?)

Soon she felt the weight of her dragon, pulling her to the ground. She heard everything heightened, the windy sea sounding far more beautiful than before.

She sensed the power, and the magic; like it was no stranger, no mystery. She felt to be a part of it, and she loved it.

...

"Valyria." Rhaenyra tried to get her attention.

"Yes?" The young princess asked.

Rhaenyra walked closer to her, placing her hands on her shoulders.

"We have a lot to talk about."

...

"What can you do?" Rhaenyra pleaded, as she placed her hand on her lower back.

Valyria winced at that.

She breathed slower as she spoke.
"I'm with you, Rhaenyra but this is not my war. I will help you, but the war is yours."

"This war is yours too, Valyria. You will be wed to Jace, the future heir to the throne —" She got cut off as her son Luke walked through the door.

"There you are." She happily said.

"The Sea Snake is going to die, isn't he?"

"Luke —" She tried as Valyria dropped her smile.

"I can't be Lord of the Tides. Grandsire was the greatest sailor who ever lived. I get greensick before the ship even leaves the harbor. I'll just ruin everything."

"You will not ruin anything." Valyria tried.

"I don't want Driftmark. It should've passed on to Ser Vaemond."

"We don't choose our destiny, Luke. It chooses us."

"Grandsire let you choose whether you'd be his heir. You told us so." He reasoned.

"And do you want to know the truth of it? I was frightened. I was four-and-ten. Same as you are now. I wasn't ready to be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. But it was my duty. And, in time, I came to understand I had to earn my inheritance."

"I'm not like you."

"In what way, sweet boy?" Her voice was soft.

"I'm not so — perfect."

"I am anything but. My father looked after me and helped to prepare me for my duties. Your mother will do the same for you."

They heard as someone came in.

"Good morrow, Princess." Ser Lorent greeted.

"Good morrow, Ser Lorent." Rhaenyra said as she wondered what he had to say.

"Princess Rhaenys has just arrived on dragonback. She urgently requests an audience with you and Prince Daemon." He told them.

As he left, Daemon came urgently in.

His eyes were on Valyria and with the wave of his hand, he ordered her to come too.

...

"The Princess Rhaenys Targaryen."

"Thank you, Ser Lorent. Princess Rhaenys, might we hope for news of Lord Corlys's recovery?" Rhaenyra happily greeted her.

Valyria stared at the princess, sensing that she did not have any good news.

"Viserys is dead."

This followed a long silence, where Rhaenyra leaned on his husband, Valyria standing next to them with her hands behind her back.

"I grieve this loss with you, Rhaenyra. My cousin, your father — possessed a kind heart."

"There is more." Valyria mumbled.

"Yes." Rhaenys gave her a faint smile.

"Aegon has been crowned as his successor."

"They crowned him?" Rhaenyra couldn't believe her ears.

"How did Viserys die?" Daemon asked.

Valyria turned to him.

"Father —"

"I could not say." Rhaenys cut her off.

"How long ago?"

"A day past, perhaps two. I was made a prisoner in my quarters while the Queen made her preparations." She explained.

"Viserys has been slain." Daemon reasoned.

"Alicent — demanded you declare for Aegon." Rhaenyra thought out loud.

"She did. I refused her."

"Yet you are here, standing?" Valyria judged as she took a step forward.

"The High Septon crowned Aegon —"

"— in the Dragonpit. I witnessed it myself just before I fled on Meleys."

"They crowned him before the masses."

"So that the masses would see him as their rightful king." Rhaenys explained.

"That whοre of a Queen murdered my brother and stole his throne. And you could have burned them all for it."

Daemon received a death stare from his daughter.

"A war is like to be fought over this treachery, to be sure. Hmm. But that war is not mine to begin. I only rushed this warning to you out of loyalty to my husband and to my house."

Valyria nodded.

"The Greens are coming for you, Rhaenyra. And for your children."

"And for you." She added, looking over at Valyria.

"What of my daughter is that they want? I could assure you, —"

"You should leave Dragonstone at once."

Rhaenyra suddenly started growling in pain as she kept her hand on her round stomach.

"You alright?" Valyria worried.

"The babe is coming."

...