XI

129 AC            KINGS LANDING

"Father?"

Rhaenyra asked farily, as she walked through his chambers.

She walked over to his bed, where he laid down.

"Father. It's me, my king. Rhaenyra."

Viserys turned his head with a sigh.

"I'm here with Daemon and Valyria." She said, saying the last word slowly.

He groaned as he looked at the three of them.

Valyria was partly behind Daemon.

"Daemon?"
"Valyria?"

"It has been so long." He grinned as he admired their faces. Mostly Valyria's, because of how much she has changed over the past years.

As children do, she grew up. She had a tall figure with slim features and a sharp jawline. Her hair was as long as ever and you couldn't see it without some form of a braid.

"The Sea Snake has taken a grave wound in battle in the Stepstones." Daemon said without showing much emotion, but Valyria knew he was broken to see his brother in this condition.

Viserys breathed heavily, almost sounding like there was no air to breathe.

"When? We won that war years ago."

"No. The Triarchy is resurgent. The fighting is anew. There's... There is a petition to decide upon the succession of Driftmark and the heir to the Driftwood Throne."

Viserys sighed, as he looked around with confusion.

"Petitions? Alicent and Otto... they see to all that business now."

"No, brother, listen to me. You are to affirm your position for Lucerys — to be Corlys Velaryon's successor."

"Has something happened to Lord Corlys?"

"Father — there's someone we wish to introduce you to." Rhaenyra said as she sat on the bed with a babe in her arms.

"This, is Aegon." She smiled.

Viserys looked at him, showing all the love he can muster.

"And this, is Viserys." She looked at her son, who was in Valyria's lap.

"Oh." He joyed.

"That is a name — fit for a king."

Valyria grinned as she brushed her fingers across her half brother's thin white hair.

...

"He is falling to pieces, literally. We have to do something —"

"What is there to do? He's gotten more ill over the years of us being away. Now we have to face the consequences. The greens rule now over his throne, there's no denying it." Valyria reasoned.

They had walked into an empty room in the Red Keep to talk.

"I knew we shouldn't of been gone for so long —"

"Rhaenyra. The facts stay facts. The only thing that there is to do now, is to figure out a way to work with what we have, and what is to be the truth." Valyria said as she looked at Rhaenyra with empathetic eyes.

Daemon looked at Rhaenyra. "She's right. We need to turn this war around, before it's too late. Think about it, what would strengthen your claim to the throne? What would secure your line and make the people stand behind you?"

"Jacarys is the heir to the throne. I already have a secure line, Daemon —"

"The people talk, Rhaenyra. They won't stand behind him easily. And standing behind you also means standing behind him. How could he make the people want to back him?"

Rhaenyra looked at the ground, suddenly shooting her head up.

"A betroval to the right person. Someone who the people already have a respect for, someone who knows how the game is to be played. Someone, who can make the masses gain respect for my son, the future king of Westeros."

There was a moment of silence, Daemon watching Rhaenyra with doubt, sometimes glancing at Valyria.

As more time passed, the couple turned their heads at Valyria.

"What? Me? I can't wed Jace—"

"But you must, for our plan to work. I know you two are close."

Daemon could almost see a faint smile on Valyria's face, before any sign of it vanished.

"Is — is that the only way?" She finally asked.

"Yes." Rhaenyra answered almost immediately.

Daemon stayed quiet.

"Then I will wed Jacarys, if that is what it takes."

...