XV

129 AC KINGS LANDING

"How good it is to see you all tonight — together."

He grunts, as the table is still set by the maids.

Everyone was supposedly at at the table, but Daemon and Jace couldn't help but to notice one missing.

A certain one eyed prince noticed it too.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent requested as she crossed her hands on the table.

"Yes."

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long." She started.

"And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest." Daemon smirked, as Alicent glanced at him.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems. My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry Valyria, and Rhaena as I have been informed, to further strengthen the bond between our houses. A toast to the young princes and the princess's."

"Hear, hear!" Daemon joyed, but stopped as he saw Valyria burst through the door.

She looked distorted, but still beautiful.

As she walked further into the room, everyone stayed quiet.

She sat on her place next to her father, and on the other side her betrothed.

Everyone stared at her, which she quickly noticed.

"I uhm, apologise for my late arrival. May we dine in peace." They nodded, as Daemon leaned closer.

"Are you alright?" He whispered.

She gave him a slight nod.

Jace stared at her as she looked at her father.

He got distracted, as he heard Aegon lean closer.

"Well done, Jace. You'll finally get to lie with a woman." He whispered.

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys the future Lord of the Tides." The king happied.

"Hear, hear." Rhaenyra said.

"You'll be great." Rhaena couraged the young prince.

"You do know how the act is done, I assume? At least in principle? Where to put your cock and all that." Aegon teased, as Valyria send deathly looks towards him.

"You can play the jester if you wish, but hold your tongue before my betrothed." Jacarys snapped.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world — yet grown so distant from each other in the years past." Everyone turned their attention to the king.

"My own face — is no longer a handsome one." He chuckled.

"If indeed it ever was. But tonight — I wish you to see me as I am. Not just a king — but your father. Your brother. Your uncle. Your husband — and your grandsire."

Everyone looked down.

"Who may not, it seems — walk for much longer among you. Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The Crown cannot stand strong if the House of the Dragon remains divided."

Aemond was staring at Valyria, which she didn't notice.

"But set aside your grievances. If not for the sake of the Crown — then for the sake of this old man who loves you all so dearly."

The Targaryens listened quietly, before Rhaenyra stood up.

"I wish to raise my cup to Her Grace, the Queen. I love my father. But I must admit that no one has stood — more loyally by his side than his good wife. She has tended to him with — unfailing devotion, love, and honor. And for that, she has my gratitude — and my apology."

Alicent looked at Rhaenyra's face, which carried true care and compassion.

"Your graciousness moves me deeply, Princess." She sniffed. "We are both mothers and we love our children. We have more in common than we sometimes allow. I raise my cup to you and to your house. You will make a fine queen."

Valyria raised her gaze towards the queen, suprised at her words. What she didn't notice, was that a prince whispered something in her ear.

"I, um — I regret the disappointment you are soon to suffer. But if you ever wish to know what it is to be well satisfied, all you have to do is ask." He whispered to her ear, but backed away as she stood up, with Jace standing up next to her.

Aemond stood up too, which caused Jace to hesitantly raise his glass.

"To Prince Aegon and Prince Aemond. We have not seen each other in years, but I have fond memories of our shared youth. And as men, I hope we may yet be friends and allies. To you and your family's good health, dear uncles." He sat back down, leaving Aemond and Valyria standing.

"To you as well." Aegon wished.

Valyria had her burning look on her face, which didn't sit easily on the prince.

She relaxed her features, and raised her cup.

"To you all. We may not be related by blood, but you have taken me in as such, raising me like your own." She glanced at Daemon.

"It is an honour to call myself Targaryen, even if that is not the whole truth. To my father, my sisters, cousins, uncle. I hold you dear in my heart."

She stared at Aemond, causing him to sit back down.

"Thank you, Valyria." Alicent said as she gave her a smile.

"I would like to toast to Valyria and Rhaena. They'll be married soon. It isn't so bad. Mostly he just ignores you — except sometimes when he's drunk." Healena raised her cup, as many tried to keep in their laughter.

Valyria grinned at Jace, which caused him to look down, hiding his smirk.

"Let us have some music."

...

This story recently hit 10k reads!

Thank you all so so much for your support, new chapter coming as soon as I finish it <3