VIII

124 AC

And so it happened.

The Velaryon loved by all, possessing might, strength and courage went in labour.

The delivery was hard, as the babe had turned the wrong way.

Now, the rogue prince was given a choice.

Save the babe and lose the mother, or save the mother and potentially save the babe.

For him the choice was obvious.

For her, those weren't choices at all.

No.

A choice meant, that she could do things at her own pace, and by her own means.

And that is what she did.

...

"I don't — want them here."

Valyria looked up at him.

"So not inviting them to their daughter's, cousin's and sister's funeral would of been a better option, father? I know you don't care for them, but she did."

Daemon looked at her.

"I suppose your right." He smiled sadly. He he took her arm in his, keeping her close.

He looked towards Rhaenyra's direction, hearing her talk to her sons.

"Your little cousins have lost their mother. They could use a kind word." She said, before they went to talk to them. He watched Baela and Rhaena's sad expressions, as the boys went up to them.

Valyria saw an old man walking slowly towards them.

"Father." She whispered.

"Brother. Your girls are the very image of their mother. A comfort and an anguish, as I well remember. The gods can be cruel." He greeted Daemon, before turning his gaze towards the girl beside him.

"Valyria." He grinned.

"Oh what a beautiful young lady you've become."

Valyria tried to put a smile on her face.

"Nice to meet you, your grace." She politely said.

She saw Daemon's expression darken.

"It seems the gods have been especially cruel to you."

"Yes." The king chuckled.

"You two should return with us to King's Landing. It's time that you came home, Daemon." He pleaded.

"Pentos is my home — and that of my children."

"Daemon — I know we've had our differences, but let them pass with the years. There's a place for you in my court if that's something you should need." He tried again.

"I need nothing. Only my family."
He said, as he looked into her daughter's eyes.

...

Rhaenyra and Daemon walked near the coast, catching up.

"I've been alone. You abandoned me."

"I spared you. You were a child. And I needed to keep Valyria safe. She's older now, and she can protect herself, so it's different now."

"Yes. Yes, I was a child. And look at what my life became without you. Droll tragedy. And I wonder what you think of mine by comparison?"

"I know little of it."

"Did you love her?"

Daemon walked slowly, deep in his thoughts.

"We were happy enough."