XIII

129 AC           KINGS LANDING

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark." Otto told the crowd from the Iron Throne.

"As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters. The Crown will now hear the petitions."

"Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon." He called.

Vaemond stepped forward, ready fir his petition.

"My queen. My lord Hand. The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name."

"I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins." He looked towards Luke, a disgusted look on his face.

Valyria stared at him with her burning eyes, causing him to look away.

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir. No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition." Rhaenyra spoke.

"You will have chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard."

"What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess? I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours. My queen, my lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor — the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides."

Jace squeezed Valyria's hand as hard as he could, without it hurting her.

"Thank you, Ser Vaemond. Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon." Otto told her.

"If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly 20 years ago, in this very —" She started, before the doors to the throne room were openend. She turned to look who came walking in.

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."

And there he stood, the king of Westeros. Rhaenyra joyed as she saw her father, ready to defend her child's claim.

He slowly walked in, as Otto quickly stood up from the throne.

"I will sit the throne today." He let out.

"Your Grace." He greeted.

The guards tried to help the man reach the throne, but he ordered them away.

"I will be fine. I will be fine." He muttered.

As he walked forward with all of the eyes on him, his crown dropped to the ground, the sound echoing through the room.

"I said I'm fine." He snapped, but stopped as he saw Daemon holding the crown, while helping him reach the seat.

"Come on. Steady."

As the King sat the throne, Daemon slowly put the crown on Viserys' head. He looked at his brother, before Daemon stepped away.

"I must — admit — my confusion. I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. The only one present — who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys's wishes is the Princess Rhaenys." He spoke. Rhaenys looked up, a bit surprised.

"Indeed, Your Grace. It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his trueborn son — Lucerys Velaryon. His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him."

The blacks looked relieved at her words. Valyria stared brushing Jace's arm up and down, as a way of relaxing him.

"As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her son, Luke to Lord Corlys's granddaughter, Rhaena. A proposal to which I heartily agree."

Luke turned to look at Rhaena, a smile on his face which she returned.

"Well — the matter is settled. Again. I hereby reaffirm Prince Lucerys of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides." The King smiled.

Vaemond stepped forward, as he spoke. "You break law — and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir. Yet you dare tell me — who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon. No. I will not allow it."

"Allow it? Do not forget yourself, Vaemond." Valyria felt as Jace tightened his grip on her hand again.

"That is no true Velaryon, and certainly no nephew of mine." Vaemond spoke angrily.

"Go to your chambers." Rhaenyra whispered to her children.
"You have said enough."

"Lucerys is my true-born grandson. And you — are no more than the second son of Driftmark." The King told him.

"You — may run your house as you see fit — but you will not decide the future of mine. My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides. And gods be damned — I will not see it ended on the account of this—" He stopped, weighing his options.

"Say it." Daemon and Valyria said in unison.

He took a pause, before squeezing his fists.

"Her children — are bastards!" He yelled as loudly as he could.

The people gasped in shock, as Viserys took his knife out.

"And she — is a whοre."

"I — will have your tongue for that." He threatened, until he saw Vaemond's head split into two, the parts dropping into the ground.

Healena closed her eyes and covered her ears, many looked away, Aemond, along with Valyria stared with calm expressions, almost delighted at the sight. He looked at Valyria, who still had her eyes on the dead body.

"He can keep his toungue." Daemon said as he wiped off the blood on Dark Sister.

...