chapter seven

|SEVEN|
TO FADE AWAY

Warning: thoughts of suicide in the chapter

        Eira stared at the body of her mother before she fell to her knees. She started to sob as she stared at the lifeless body before she crawled through the blood.

        She touched her mother gently before she shook her form as she pleaded, "Mom, wake up. Please, wake up. Wake up. Mom."

        "Please, don't leave me," she begged as she cried while staring into her mother's lifeless eyes. "Don't leave me."

           While she sobbed, Eric appeared behind the scene. He had felt her overwhelming sadness and knew that something was wrong. Although, he was still shocked.

             "Eric, you can turn her, right?" Eira sobbed. "Please, save her for me. Please."

              Eira stared at him with those green eyes. They were filled with endless tears and he wanted to stop it but he couldn't.

             "Eira," he said carefully as he came closer. "She's gone."

           "Don't say that," she said defensively as her lips trembled before she clung to her mother's form tightly. "She's not gone. She can't be. She wouldn't leave me...."

            _____

           Eric now held her in his arms bridal-style outside. He eventually got her to let go of her mother but now she clung to him outside with quiet, little hiccuped sobs.

       The police had been called and they were now taking the body of her mother out of the house. They tried to ask her questions but Eric answered them all for her.

       "She found her like that and she didn't see anything," Eric glared. "That's all."

          With his glare, they didn't dare come near her again to bother her with questions. They were all too scared of the vampire that cradled her ever so gently.

          Once they were gone, Eric took her back inside and up the stairs. He set her down in her room and she noticed that she soaked his shirt in blood. She looked down at herself to find herself covered in it.

        She let out a choked sob as she stared at it, "I can't look at this."

          "You won't have to," he pushed her gently towards the bathroom. "Go wash it off."

        She did as he commanded. She shuffled into the bathroom before peeling off her bloody clothes. Then she got in the shower and watched as her mother's blood was washed down the drain. She couldn't help but let out a sob at that.

    When she got out, she came out in just a bath robe. She got into bed as Eric held her after he had taken off his ruined shirt. She clung to him tightly as Eric caressed the top of her head. She uttered hopelessly, "Eric, what am I going to do? That was my mom..."

"Shh," Eric soothed. "Just go to sleep. I'll take care of you."

      She sniffled as she snuggled her head against his chest. She thought of his words as she closed her eyes. I'll take care of you. And she eventually was able to fall asleep.