chapter fourteen

| FOURTEEN |
I MISS YOU

As soon as Eric left Eira, he felt empty. And for the first time in a thousand years, he actually felt just as cold as his skin. He felt lifeless and he missed the warmth that he felt just being around Eira. It took leaving her and the thought of never seeing her again to realize what he felt.

He cared about her.

Godric would've told him he was a fool for caring about humans. Maybe he was but he'd rather be the fool than change what he felt.

He immediately wanted to go back and tell Eira that she was indeed wrong. But the more he thought, the more he realized that perhaps this was best for her.

She wouldn't be in the world of vampires (he'd make sure of it) and she'd be safe. There'd be no danger of her killing her a vampire and bringing about her grandmother; he didn't know how much of a danger this witch was but he didn't want to risk it. He'd stay away even if it meant she only existed in his dreams forever.

He wanted Eira to be safe, protected, and he'd do anything to ensure that. It didn't mean it didn't hurt being away from her. Because if she came to him now, he would cave and never let her go again.

Pam noticed how depressed Eric was as he sat in his office hunched over in a chair, "Where's your little pet?"

"Eira is no longer mine," Eric spoke sadly and from the direction he was sitting, Pam couldn't see the bloody tear slowly run down his face.

"Well, good riddance," Pam stated. "You were growing too attached, Eric."

Eric puzzled over her relief and thought about what Eira said, "She said that you believed I didn't care about her. Why would she say that? How would she even know?"

"Oh, that," Pam smirked. "I was just telling her the truth."

"Which was what?"

"That she's merely a blood bag," Pam said. "What else would I say?"

His fists clenched in his lap. It was his own progeny that put the doubts in her head. What had transpired tonight may not have happened if it wasn't for Pam. His voice was deadly as he spoke, "You cost me everything."

"But she isn't everything?"

Eric ignored the question as he commanded, "Get out of my sight."

         _____

      Eira had never left the cemetery. She had cried herself to sleep on the cold, hard ground. But when she woke up to the morning light, she found herself on the couch where Sookie lived.

        She was confused before Sookie spoke up while handing her a cup of coffee, "Bill found you out there and brought you here."

      But as her brain caught up to the moment, she could only remember why she was in the cemetery in the first place. To kill her relationship with Eric. To bury it but with the way her chest ached it was far from buried and she started to cry again.