chapter seventeen

| SEVENTEEN |
WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN

             The next day, Eric was asleep for most of it in another room. He woke just as the sun was setting. She was eating breakfast food for dinner in the kitchen when he entered and she couldn't help but blush. Eric smirked but nevertheless went to sit on the couch as he informed her that they'd be meeting two vampires, Isabel and Stan, later on.

         "So Godric, your maker, has gone missing?" she questioned as she finished eating her pancakes. She remembered Eric telling her that his maker was named Godric.

"Yes."

"I'm sorry," she apologized as she came to stand in front of him before offering a small smile. "But maybe he just decided he hated Texas and wanted to leave."

Eric grinned at her attempt to make him feel better. She was still ever so kind. He thought it was cute as he replied, "Possibly but highly unlikely."

        "But do you really think this Fellowship of the Sun was able to take him?" she asked.

           "I'd be more surprised if it was in fact them. Godric is twice my age and very strong. Humans being able to subdue him is frankly worrying," Eric said and he seemed tense; she wanted to alleviate it so she moved forward slightly to place her hands on his shoulders and massage them as he talked. "They'd have to possess some type of weapon. But...it still may not be them. It's more plausible that it's someone else."

          As Eric finished airing out his worries, it was then that he was aware of her hands on his shoulders as he furrowed his eyebrows, "What are you doing?"

           "Oh. Sorry," she stopped and stepped back from him as she fumbled with her hands nervously. "You just seemed tense and I guess...it's a force of habit."

           "What is?"

           She uttered quietly, "To make sure you're okay."

He stared at her intensely as his chest literally ached for her. She was far too good for him like some kind of miracle and he cherished her like any starving man would. His touch would corrupt her and his presence would tarnish her shine but like any starving man, he only sought to satiate his hunger without a care for the consequences. Not anymore.

"I wasn't silent that night because it was true," Eric revealed. "I was silent because I didn't want to acknowledge what I was blind to."

Her heart raced as it filled with hope while she asked, "Which is what?"

"I do care about you and..." he confessed quietly before he looked away from her as he became guarded. "And that's all I'll say about it. But know that it's true."

She went to say something but she heard knocking on the door. She let out a little huff before going to answer it. It was Sookie.

"Hey," Sookie smiled. "Bill said we're supposed to be leaving soon so I figured I'd come get..."

Sookie paused as she saw Eric in the hallway of the suite and she immediately glared, "What the Hell is he doing here?"