CHAPTER 1

Sidharth lit his second cigarette and blew out a puff of smoke while looking at his phone. 10.45 pm.
He sighed, zoning back into the conversation and laughter around him. It's not as if he wasn't listening or he wasn't interested. He was...just not as interested as others would expect him to be. He smiled at the younger man next to him. He was smiling, laughing and being his charming self. Always the life of the party. And his closest friend, Kushal. He was younger than him by 5 years but that never stopped them becoming best friends. Family actually. Kushal was everything Sidharth was not. Extrovert, loved to party, always optimistic, accommodating and mellow as a cucumber. But he was also solid and dependable just like Sidharth. Their core values were much the same. Sidharth on the other hand was everything most men aspired to be but couldn't. Rich, successful, powerful and handsome. With piercing dark eyes, chiselled features and a jawline to die for, to say that women threw themselves at him would be an understatement. With his luxurious short hair some of which flopped on his eyes as he slicked them back with his hand, Sidharth exuded aura and authority. Almost a gym rat even at 39, his biceps flexed as he bent forward to grab his drink while flicking the ash in the crystal ash tray. He knew of his effect on women. And he used it to his advantage almost whenever he could. To say that even men fell under his aura and charm would not be wrong either. Kushal, on the other hand, was very good looking, charming, a grade A flirt but lacked the aura of his friend. But none of that stopped them from being friends that stood by through thick and thin. Keeper of secrets and mender of problems. Of course Sidharth was grateful to Kushal for everything. Even this damn party he organized at the last minute in one of Mumbai's most exclusive nightclubs Noir, to celebrate his 15th year as the head of Shukla Enterprises. It was a milestone year. The company which started as a humble construction firm, was established by his father and it wasn't long before it became a reputable name in the field landing itself some very prestigious projects. Anand Shukla's hard work, determination and discipline soon put Shukla Enterprises into the league of top firms in Maharashtra. However, following his untimely death SE's shares dropped and projects began backing out owing to the loss of confidence in the future of the enterprise in the face of no apparent leader. Sidharth, then barely 24, at the behest of his mother took on the daunting reins of the company and the rest, as they say, was history. SE didn't just make a comeback, it soared. It grew multifolds with venturing into the building of bridges, highways and even dams. Sidharth had one quality which perhaps his father didn't care for much. He was daring and unafraid of taking risks. While his father was the prudent businessman, Sidharth was a lion that took on daring projects that noone had the guts to touch. Needless to say SE from being one of the top construction firms in Maharashtra, catapulted to being one of the top 5 in the entire country.

Sidharth sighed again. He just wanted to go home and be in bed. He wasn't big on celebrations and parties. Just like birthdays. Celebration or not, life goes on anyway. It was just another day.
The lights dimmed and the music changed. The beats were trippier. He had heard the song before but didn't know it. He liked it nevertheless and tapped his feet ever so lightly. He looked around the place. Crystal chandeliers and soft velvet curtains. They were seated in an exclusive corner of the upper gallery that overlooked the rest of the club. Jewel toned sofas everywhere with soft hidden lighting. Noir was very good looking, he had to admit that. His attention shifted as he felt a weight next to him and a sweet jasmine smell hit his nostrils. He knew who had finally arrived.

"Hi Sidharth. Congratulations, hottie. A major achievement." The voice purred.
Sonia. Sonia Kapoor. Boy did they go back a long way. He looked at her and gave her his most charming smile.
"Thanks Sonia. Very nice of you to come. You look...sexy. As usual," he smirked looking at the barely there sequined strappy number she had put on.
"I know. Although tonight I put in slightly extra effort." Sonia smiled and winked at him. "And you look killer. As always." She leaned forward to grab her glass giving Sidharth an even wider view down her cleavage.
"Hah! If you knew what a killer day I had today," he said casually brushing the compliment aside and letting his eyes glide over. Sonia noticed it and smiled.
Suddenly Kushal stood up asking everyone gathered to do the same and raise their glasses.