CHAPTER 17

"Yeah, this is the last one. Abhi ke liye let's carry all this. Baaki I'll come and pack up again in a few days," said Shehnaaz as Shefali looked over her packed luggage and books. It was a little sad at how little she truly owned. All of her life packed in 4 suitcases and 3 boxes.

"Is it ok agar main next week aake baaki samaan le jaaun? I don't want to dump everything at her place abhi ke abhi." She added while looking at her estranged adoptive family who were all gathered in the living room as Shefali's driver carried out her stuff one by one.

"Haan sure there's no rush. You can collect the stuff later. In fact keep your set of keys. You can come in anytime that way," said Simi Aunty while Rajat Uncle nodded his head vigorously. Shefali rolled her eyes at their overcompensatory behaviour, not even bothering to hide her distaste.

"Once I have my own place things will be better," Shehnaaz said out loud to no one in particular.

"Ab chalein? Mummy is cooking tonight tere liye," said Shefali desperate to get out of there and bring her friend out too.

"Haan haan. Tu chal main aati hoon," she said a little hesitatingly.

Sweeping a glance at the Jaswals, Shefali asked, "Sure?"

"Yeah," blinked Shehnaaz in assurance.

Once Shefali had exited she turned back to them. The air was thick with tension and discomfort. The Jaswals clearly were ill-prepared for this departure. And Shehnaaz couldn't seem to find the right words. Taking a deep breath she said, "Woh, um, thank you for everything. Waise toh I shouldn't say this because what you've done for me can never be re-paid and that's the honest truth I but just wanted to express my gratitude. Aur-aur..."

"Shehnaaz, don't. It's ok. We go too far back," this time Rajat Uncle spoke up. And after what seemed like ages he finally looked at her. "If there is any problem you can call us anytime."

Shehnaaz studied his stance. Hands in his pockets and his gaze slightly evasive. Was it merely lip service on his part or did he really mean what he said, Shehnaaz wasn't sure but she knew she didn't want to be bitter about things. She knew she hadn't fully processed things yet and maybe when she finally did the dam would break loose. But for now this would have to do. Walking up to them she hugged each member. Then giving them a final nod she left the house, setting her keys on the table closing the door behind her.

Shefali didn't say anything as they travelled back to her house. She simply held her friend's hand. That one small act conveyed all that words couldn't. And Shehnaaz was grateful for the silence. A wave of emotions ran through her mind. She couldn't pinpoint what she felt exactly. Sadness? Relief? Anxiety? Perhaps all. A major chapter of her life had finally ended. She didn't know what to feel. Why was there no handbook to this?

"Sana, I've told mummy papa not to bombard you with questions right away. They are concerned of course but they understood when I said you needed space. So don't get worked up or get into one of your over compensatory modes."

Shehnaaz smiled.

"Kya?" asked Shefali.

"You called me Sana. Matlab you're serrrrrrriously worried about me!" It was true. Shefali only called her Sana during very serious moments.

"This is all you can think of?" Shefali asked slightly incredulously.

"Acha haaaaan, I know and heard everything. I'm fine." As the car approached the house she could see Shefali's parents waiting in the balcony for their arrival. She felt a slight prick of anxiety bubbling but she managed to bottle it down. She would be fine. They were like family. She would figure something out soon. Taking a deep breath, she exited the car with a smile on her face as she greeted the two approaching figures.