CHAPTER 2

A distant thudding broke Shenaaz’s sleep. She lifted her head squinting at the door as sunlight peaked in through the drawn curtains.

“Haan?” she rasped, barely awake.

“Arre it’s me. Wake up ya 10.30 baj gaye. You need to go and pick up the clothes! Aur humein nikal na bhi hai. Uth yaar!” A female voice spoke outside the closed door

“Haan haan aa rahi hoon. Bas 10 minutes!” She sprinted out of the bed and into the washroom.

She surveyed her face while brushing her teeth. Ok, not bad, at least she wasn’t hungover.  And thank god it was a Sunday and she had no college to attend. Small mercies, right?

After adjusting the water temperature she stepped into the shower. The warm water felt good. She leaned her head back letting the water fall on her face and closed her eyes. His face flashed in her mind. Those crinkled eyes, the slightly bunny teeth and his laugh. Sidharth.

More thudding interrupted her thoughts. She sighed and stepped out of the shower. Getting dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt Shehnaaz quickly opened the door of her room.

“Finally!! We are getting super late tere chakkar mein,” said Meera while she grabbed her bag and mobile. Her movements indicated a hurry. Meera was 27 and worked in a top ad firm. She was the only daughter of Shehnaaz's  guardians.

Just then a woman in her early 50s stepped out of another room dressed in a green airy kaftan and beige pants. She had shoulder length brown hair, small eyes and a pretty face. Pushing her cat eye sunglasses on her head she said,

“Shehnaaz beta, you’ll have to do another favour please. After you pick up the clothes please go to the Tyaani store in Parel to exchange my set na. I’ve changed my mind. I think I’m going to finally wear the silver set instead of the gold one. Goes better with the outfit. Thoda detour ho jayega but please kar lena sweetie. I have already called them and they’ll be ready with it.”

“Don’t worry Simi aunty, I'll take care of it,” replied Shehnaaz.

“And Mumma, what about the bouquet and the cupcakes? Driver will be with us so who will drop them off at the Khanna’s? Don’t ask me because I’ll be in Versova with Sara and all pehle hi bata rahi hoon,” warned Meera.

They both turned to Shehnaaz. “Beta, will you be—“

“Haan haan koi nai, Aunty. I’ll take a cab and drop them off 4 baje,” said Shehnaaz.

“Ok great then all problems solved! Thank god you don’t have college today. Nai toh it would have been chaos, hai na?” said Simi while fixing her lipstick in the mirror.

“Ji aunty.”

“Ok then, all sorted we are leaving. See you raat ko," said Meera as they closed the door.

Shehnaaz gave a sigh of relief. The house was finally empty. Even the staff was on their weekly holiday. She liked the solitude. But it was a luxury that came seldom to her. Humming a tune she stepped into the sprawling chrome kitchen to make herself a cup of tea and fix a quick breakfast of fruits.

Grabbing her phone and the breakfast tray she sat down on the sofa. Memories of last night flooded her mind. Taking a sip of the hot beverage she looked out into the garden. It was a sunny day. She closed her eyes and his face flashed again. She quickly opened them. Why was she thinking about that man? She is never going to see him again. She didn’t even leave her complete number. So in a city of 21 million and above there were absolutely 0 to negative chances of their paths crossing again. The thought made her heart twinge for some reason. Shaking her head she finished her bowl of fruits when her phone rang. She smiled looking at the caller ID.