CHAPTER 16

Ratna was surprised when she saw her son walk in from the gym. She had come upstairs to supervise the cleaning of a crockery cabinet when she saw him enter. She looked at her watch. It was almost 9.00 am. Didn't he have a site visit in Thane?

"You're home? Visit cancel ho gaya, kya?" she enquired.

"No, it was postponed," Sidharth replied, taking a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Postponed? Why? Gujrals usually do this. I didn't even receive any email."

"I postponed it," replied Sidharth, making his mother frown.

"But why? We're almost done with the project. Yeh last minute kyun? You've never postponed important meetings before."

"Maa, something more important has come up. That needs my attention. I know what I'm doing and what's important, so relax," he said, snapping slightly.

"What could be more important than this?"

"Maa, please. I don't want to discuss anything now and nor do I believe I have to. I know my job I'll get it done. Gujrals have been with us for a long time. Itna toh trust hai. So just let it be. And I'll be leaving in half an hour," saying so he went to his room and shut the door.

Ratna stared after him at the closed door. Her son was definitely being evasive. What was more important today? Something about his demeanour made her feel the issue was more personal, and not really work related. Determined to find out she decided to make a call.

*********************************************************************************

As soon as Shehnaaz entered his car she jumped on him. Sensing the urgency he engulfed her petite body into his huge frame. He rubbed her small frame gently, peppering her head with light kisses. Warmth and security flooded through her as she felt tears pooling her eyes again. Determined not to cry in front of him again she willed her tears back before moving back to look at him. As she looked at him, Sidharth took in her appearance. She looked tired. Eyes were still puffy and her usual glow was missing. She somehow looked thinner in the blue round neck top she was wearing. Bending down he took her lips in for a kiss. Shehnaaz put her hands on his face as she closed her eyes, letting her senses be overtaken by him. This kiss was long but the urgency was lacking. He could still taste her toothpaste. Holding her closer he deepened the kiss before letting her go. Once they separated, he tucked her hair behind her ears looking at her face searchingly.

"Have you had breakfast, Shehnaaz?" to which she shook her head in a no. Sidharth sighed. He needed to feed this girl and have some privacy. Looking at the road ahead he contemplated what to do. His flat was not too far from there, probably about 6 km. But he didn't want to take her there. That space just felt too impersonal at the moment. He needed her to be home with him. He took out his phone and dialled his cook, Anju.

"Ji, sir?"

"Haan, uh, Maa nikal gayi hai kya?" Shehnaaz turned to look at him.

"Haan, sir, bas abhi nikli hai."

"Aaj BK jayegi kya?"

"Haan sir. Madam lunch ke baad hi aayegi. Kuch kaam tha kya aap ko?"

"Nahin nahin. Ek kaam kar tu kuch breakfast bana ke rakh. Main wapas aa raha hoon thodi der ke liye."

"Ok, kya banau?"

Turning to Shehnaaz, he asked, "What would you like to eat? Eggs?"

"No, I'm good. Bhook nai hai. I don't want anything."

"Woh toh hoga nahi. You will have to eat," he said, slightly authoritatively. "Say, what would you like."

Shehnaaz simply shrugged her shoulders without replying.