Chapter 14

Mera bachha. She kept repeating her words in her head, blushing and smiling like a fool. It made up for all the negative moments of the day. Despite the upbeat tone of the conversation, what Sidharth didn't know was exactly how Shehnaaz's day had gone. After she had returned from Khar, she found the house still full of her aunt's guests. Feeling her eyes on her Shehnaaz knew she had to greet the ladies before she hid herself away in the confines of her room.

"Hello, everyone. How is the party going? Khana kaisa tha? Great, I'm sure. Trust Simi Aunty to get the best always!" She beamed looking at the 5 women dressed in georgette and diamonds.

"Of course, beta! It was great, as usual," replied Sherry Ahuja, prompting the others to murmur in agreement.

"Why are you standing? Come sit with us na, Shehnaaz!" insisted Sherry aunty.

Sighing mentally she braced herself for whatever was coming her way. Turning to Simi the older lady said,

"Waise, I must say I applaud you and Rajat tremendously everytime I see Shehnaaz. What a great job you guys have done. Not everyone is so generous and giving."

"Nothing like that, Sherry. Shehnaaz is a lovely girl," mumbled Simi Aunty.

"Oh, don't be so humble!" intervened another lady, Rasika Sethia, who already looked drunk.

"Really! Rasika is right. Credit must be given where it's due. Look how lovely she looks. And how she has turned out. Aisa, open and modern upbringing kahan milta otherwise." Turning to Shehnaaz, Sherry continued, "Bura mat maan na beta but I always speak the truth. Agar yeh log nahi hote kahan tum aise life jee pati? You know, wearing western clothes, hanging out with friends. Plus your education! Maan na padega. Nahi?"

Shehnaaz felt suffocated. She wanted to push her away and scream at her. Her sickly sweet perfume was making her nauseous. What did she know about being an orphan? Or her lifestyle? Who or what gave her the right to pass such statements? What did she even know about her own family?? Did she have any idea how many rave parties her children went to every year? Or what videos were circulating about some of the other children of the ladies' gathered there on youtube? But knowing what it could escalate into, Shehnaaz calmed herself down, digging her nails into her palms.

"That Is why I keep telling Simi to not eat the humble pie so much. Logon ko pata toh chale kitna charity- I mean punya- kar rahe hai yeh log. And that too for years! Main toh kehti hoon hum sab ko ek do unfortunate cases ko utha kar help kar lena chahiye. What say ladies? Am I wrong?"

Everyone shook their heads vigorously, seemingly in agreement with her.

"And when they become success stories it can boost our families' images also. I swear, Sherry is right. We should look into this venture. Maybe start an NGO, our own exclusively. Phir tum jaisio ki zyada madad kar payenge and give you all better lives, no Shehnaaz?" said Rasika.

"Yeah. It's a good idea and will do well I'm sure. I'm really very lucky and privileged. Sahi mein sab ko aisa mauka nahin milta. A second chance. To come back from death. Anyway, aunties, i will leave you all to your party and catch you all later." Shehnaa did not even wait for their good byes. Grabbing her bag and keys she left the house again. Tears blinded her eyes. She had no idea where to go when suddenly she heard her phone ring.

"Aly? Salaam," she said, trying to keep the tremor out of her voice.

"Waalaikumsalam Sana, wassssuppp!" Replied Aly on the other end but he immediately sensed something was wrong.