CHAPTER 5

The next day Shehnaaz came back home and was surprised to find Rajat Uncle in the living room with the rest of the family. She recognized Mr. Kamat, their family lawyer, who was  also present. Shehnaaz was good at reading rooms and this one definitely felt heavy.

“Hello,” she greeted everyone.

“Beta, do you have to be anywhere else, right now? As in do you have any other plans?” asked Rajat Uncle.

“No Uncle, but is anything wrong?”

“Why don’t you freshen up and then come sit with us. There’s something we’d like to discuss,” replied Simi Aunty with an unsure smile.

“Sure. Just give me a few minutes and I’ll be back.”

Once inside her room Shehnaaz closed the door and let out a shaky breath. She could feel anxiousness building up again. Her mind sending her warning signals feeling the foreboding of a sense of doom. Drinking some water she fixed her appearance in the mirror. “Kuch nai hai Shehnaaz. Stop worrying. Sab thik hi hoga,” she tried to boost herself up. Plastering a fake smile she stepped out of her room finally.

“Haan ji, Uncle tell me,” she sat down on the sofa opposite him.

“Shehnaaz beta there’s something you need to be aware of. And it’s best if Mr. Kamat himself explains it to you,” he said, avoiding her eyes.

She turned to the older man in question sitting on her right.

Clearing his throat, Mr. Kamat began, “So Shehnaaz, Rajat tells me you’re going to be in final year soon. How are studies going?”

“It’s going good only, Mr. Kamat. At least I think so,” she chuckled, trying to sound light.

“Good, good,” he cleared his throat again and continued. “Shehnaaz this is about your trust fund. What I’m about to tell you please listen and understand carefully, beta. Have you thought about what you want to do after your graduation? Are you planning your Masters or do you think you’ll get a job and start working?”

“I don’t think I want to start working this early Mr. Kamat. Aaj kal sirf graduates ko kahan achhi jobs milti hai. And I’ve been thinking of doing my Masters since the beginning. But may I ask why are you asking all this?”

He looked at her and then said, “Your trust fund is running out of funds Shehnaaz. When Siddique saab and Ruksana ji had drawn up the paperwork to set up the fund, nobody obviously had ever foreseen the tragedy that would happen in a few months. As a result, the paperwork was never completed and neither was the set up fully complete. However, it has been functional despite the incomplete terms and conditions. Meaning the money your parents had left for you through regular deposits, up until their deaths, has of course been utilised for your education and upkeep.”

“Haan ji, bilkul, I know this. But as far as I know- and I admit mujhe itna deep knowledge nahin hai inn sab ke baare mein- the fund had money to see me through till I turned 27, right? So…I can’t understand how…?” Her voice trailed.

“You’re right Shehnaaz. That is the basic clause. And it stands. Unfortunately other than that there is no other clarity because the terms are incomplete. And -ahem- unke untimely unnatural deaths ke wajah se there have been no more deposits since 2011 and jitna tha, it has been used up. Basically to put it simply, the fund has not expired but the money has run out. Almost. Right now  there is a sum total of 3 lakhs in the fund. Tax free of course.”

There was complete silence in the room. Shehnaaz sat absolutely still as her brain struggled to register the information. She just didn’t know how to process all that Mr. Kamat just dropped on her. What did all that mean for her future? Her studies? Her survival?