Chapter 91 - 100

Chapter 91

Li Qing He inevitably paid closer attention to the next-door neighbors. The weather has been hot recently, so Li Qing He and Zhou Chengkang would take their son out for walks daily in the mornings and the evenings. Hearing the quarreling noises, they looked at each other to comprehend. Zhou Chengkang picked up the baby and the three of them passed through the wasteland on the way to the Yangs' household.

The door of the Yang family's courtyard was open, and many people were standing there. Li Qing He was not familiar with them and could just barely recognize their faces. Those people were from Wang Village who had purchased the spoiled pork from the Yangs before.

"It doesn't make sense that we starve to death and still care about the contract with you. You are a very cunning person, you are just waiting for the time when we all die, so you won't have to pay us back- the debt, right?"

"Even I think this is the case!"

"You have no conscience! You can have all the meat, but at least leave us some soup..."

"My family is really out of food, or I wouldn't have given a thought to come to your door. Master Yang, pity our family just a bit......"

"Today, you can either exchange grains for use or pay us back. You are free to choose which one!"

The crowd was in an uproar, with sickles and hoes in their hands. They were shouting in the courtyard, while Mr. Yang tried to pacify them.

The two looked at each other and quietly retreated.

These people were probably used to making trouble. They knew now what the Yang family was afraid of, and after having their demands fulfilled twice, they will come to the Yangs again.

First of all, they were large in numbers, crowding the courtyard. Second of all, they had a fierce momentum, with hoes and sickles, making it impossible to have any room for negotiation, thus overwhelming Mr. Yang. And third of all, they all worked together in union. So no matter how hard Yang's family would try to coerce them, they wouldn't budge.

It was only June, and the autumn harvest will occur at the end of July at the earliest. There was still more than a month left. Hence, many people in the village were out of food. As far as Li Qing He knew, people boiled coarse grains and green vegetables from the fields and ate them. Although this porridge did not satisfy their hunger, they at least did not starve to death.

There was indeed a drought in many places last year, but it didn't happen in Wang Village. Most people quietly sold their food and ate sweet potatoes. They could continue eating just the soup but it was not harvesting season and they wanted to earn some money however they could.

The people who came to the Yang family maybe wanted to use this pretext to force money out of them. The Yang family had four acres of barren land and if they were to pay the villager's debt, it would take them years.

They don't know for sure- how much silver the others had, but with just one look at the Yang family, who were living luxuriously and eating nourishing food, while the workers had to patch their broken houses temporarily and eat white steamed buns. The Yang family definitely had silver with them, but whether it was sufficient to repay the debts, was still unknown.

Those who forced the Yang family to pay the debt early would get the money, but when the Yang family does not have enough money later, those who are late- will not be able to get their money back. Even if they don't pay them back, can they still attack the Yang family?

Thinking of this, Li Qing He lowered her voice and said, "Go and inform my eldest aunt and the others about this."

It wasn't the case that she wanted to stir up more trouble for the Yang family. But if they weren't able to repay the debts, it would all be in vain.