Chapter 229 - End

Chapter 229

Having settled the Old Emperor comfortably, Li Yao really left this time.

She could not stay in the imperial palace indefinitely, firstly there was no point, and secondly she needed to buy some things.

The Crown Prince had a ruthless heart. Not only did he feed the Old Emperor poison, he did not even give him any food.

Therefore, Li Yao bought some herbs and boiled them into medicinal liquids, and also brought the old man some food.

That night, Li Yao sneaked into the palace again. When the Old Emperor saw a greasy roast chicken, the corners of his mouth turned up into a grin.

"I don't know how many years it's been, I've always wanted to eat Huang Ji's roast chicken again, but the imperial chef just won't buy it for me."

Even the diet of an emperor was not so free.

The imperial chef would make anything he wanted, but would never buy ready-made food from small roadside stalls.

So the roast chicken Li Yao brought him allowed him to taste the flavors of his youth.

After the Old Emperor finished the roast chicken, Li Yao gave him some medicine to help regulate his body, with the goal of getting the Old Emperor in the best shape possible before he lost consciousness.

By the third day, the deadline given by the Crown Prince had arrived.

This time Li Yao did not lie on the roof, but hid inside the bedchamber.

The Crown Prince still came in alone. Seeing the Old Emperor's face as pale as paper, a hideous smile emerged on his face.

"Father Emperor, have you considered it?" said the Crown Prince. "If you abdicate now, I can still allow you to live out your remaining years in comfort."

"If... if I... don't abdicate?"

"Don't abdicate? Then tonight will be the time Your Majesty leaves this world."

"You... have such a cruel heart... cough cough..."

The Old Emperor pretended to tremble all over in anger as Li Yao had taught him, and then coughed violently, even coughing up quite a bit of "blood".

Then he gasped for breath, unable to catch it, and passed out with his eyes closed.

"Imperial physicians, hurry and come take a look!"

A few imperial physicians came over with their heads lowered, took the emperor's pulse, and said, "Your Highness, His Majesty's pulse is chaotic and weak, I'm afraid he is..."

"How much longer does he have?"

"At most two or three days."

"Humph, it seems your medicine is not very effective," said the Crown Prince. "Just two or three days, I can wait. These next few days, continue to take good care of His Majesty."

After a pause, the Crown Prince said coldly, "The medicine he should take, he still has to take."

"Yes."

The Crown Prince and imperial physicians left. The Old Emperor opened his eyes.

Just now, he had just taken a trip to the gates of death. To be honest, it still frightened him.

But fortunately Li Yao had planned for every contingency, knowing that the Crown Prince, seeing he did not have long to live, was unwilling to dirty his own hands. Instead he chose to wait a few more days.