Chapter 94 - 107

Chapter 94

Twilight arrived, and the villagers happily carried lamb meat and lamb soup back home. Li Yao's family also sat together around the table.

Li Yao had a carpenter make a round table with a hole in the middle, and asked a blacksmith to make a pot. Now the pot sat on the table above a coal fire. The soup had started boiling, and the familiar smell of hot pot made Li Yao feel like her soul would leave her body.

"Let's eat!"

Li Yao picked up a slice of tripe and put it in the pot, silently counting to 10 seconds, then quickly fished it out.

She dipped it in the small dish of scallions, garlic paste, and sesame oil, then immediately put it in her mouth.

The familiar numb, spicy, crispy sensation.

But she suddenly realized the children and Song Zhe still hadn't picked up their chopsticks.

"Why aren't you eating?"

"Can we really eat it after just scalding it briefly?" He Xiaoya asked. "Won't it be raw?"

Looks like she'd have to eat and teach at the same time.

"Different foods need to be cooked for different lengths of time. Scald the tripe for 10 counts."

He Xiaoya followed her instructions, scalding a slice of tripe, then carefully put it in her mouth. Her expression then became rather strange, a bit pained, a bit enjoying it, but mostly surprised.

"Although it's spicy and numb, it's so fragrant and crispy. Makes me want to keep eating it."

Seeing she wasn't afraid, the others also followed suit.

At first they ate carefully, not quite used to the spicy flavor, but gradually they got over their fear.

Just like He Xiaoya said, it made them want to keep eating!

The table full of ingredients visibly decreased at a rapid pace.

"Mother, how many counts for the lamb?"

"What about the goose intestine?"

"The duck stomach is cooked, hurry and eat it!"

...

"Mrs. Li! Open the door!"

Right after finishing the delicious hot pot, a woman's voice sounded outside the door.

Dazhuang opened the door to find it was the maid Xiaocui of the county magistrate's wife.

"I have an urgent matter to discuss with Mrs. Li."

Dazhuang led Xiaocui inside, but she refused to speak in front of everyone. Li Yao then called her into the bedroom.

"Mrs. Li," Xiaocui said anxiously, "the county magistrate has run into trouble!"

It turned out when the county magistrate returned today, he discovered the official county seal was missing. He knew someone must be trying to frame him, and could guess who was behind it, but unfortunately he absolutely could not make a big fuss about this.

If the theft of the county seal got out and was verified, not only would he lose his position, but he'd also end up in prison.

And the thief who stole the seal must also clearly understand this, which is why they dared to act so boldly.

After thinking hard, the county magistrate still couldn't come up with a good solution, so later under the prompting of his wife, he sent Xiaocui to find Li Yao.