Haunted Dreams

She was standing near the bedside watching the much older female version of her. She was in pain , the room was filled with many other beds. The girl was scared as she was clutching the whimpering lady’s hand. There was no medical assistance for the lady as she knew what was going to happen next. The lines of worries faded when she glanced at the little girl. The lady was feigned to smile, hiding her internal pain while looking at her tiny girl.

“Daughter!”she cooed

“Mumma!”the little girl meeked

“Why are you crying?”

“You are in pain Mumma! I..I am scared!”

“ You are a brave girl!”

“Where is papa?” The woman's face lost its glow and a tear escaped from her eye. Her suit was filled with sweat and her inside  pain

“He will be here soon and you will go with him.”

“Mumma you will also come with me na? we will play and live together!” the little girl clapped and the woman again looked at the door of the civil hospital of Saharanpur. She got the bed by very difficulty as she was suffering form the disease..a fatal one. A lady came there

“where is your husband? We need this bed.”the nurse shouted making the little girl jump.

“I..I am h..helpless Mam! Please try to understand.”

“Oh hello! I know how helpless you are? Woman like you blot on the society and as a woman. This hospital is for needy person not for the concubine like you.” the whole ward was looking at her. The woman gulped her tears and again looked at the door hoping to see the arrival of her husband.

“P..P..please don’t use such words in front of my kid.” She requested

Her hopes was broken when the nurse pulled her out of the bed and the little girl out of the ward. The woman was in pain but managed to smile again.

“Ahh Mumma! Why are they thrashing us mumma?”the woman’s heart bleed listening to her naïve question.

How can she taint her innocent mind describing the truth of her life and the cruelty of her destiny. Closing her eyes she looked at the roof like complaining Almighty to make her stand in this situation.

“They need that room more than us.” The little girl smiled looking at her mother but she knew something was wrong in her smile. Little girl was unaware about the upcoming havoc in her life. Both mother and daughter sat on the floor near the ward waiting for the one who was not even intended or remember that some was waiting for them.

In the evening a compounder gave some milk and chapati to the both out of pity. The little girl ate it instantly. The mother was overwhelmed as they were hungry from the last day. Somehow she managed to admit to this hospital but again her destiny ditched her. Her heart cried looking at her hungry daughter but still she was smiling like she schooled her.

“Mumma papa is not coming ? it’s late.” The hope of her mother’s also died but again she masked her emotions.

“He will come with lots of food and toys for you.”she cupped her daughter’s face with a shine in her eyes. The little girl’s face mirrored the expressions on her face.

“Yay!” the girl chimed and her mother felt happy seeing her this much happy.