Chapter Three: Parallels

I woke up in the Honeycomb cabin early the next morning. No one else was awake yet, but I had a sudden craving for coffee, so I got up, got dressed, and headed out into the campground to find some.

There were a couple of people wandering around; mostly counselors and CITs, which is why it wasn't particularly surprising when I found EJ sitting outside of the Barn in the most adorably camp-counselor-esque outfit I'd ever seen. 

"Oh my gosh, is that EJ Caswell from Disney+'s Frozen: The Musical: The Series?" I asked, leaning on a support beam and clocking the once-again daunted expression on his face. 

"They would never call the show that," He said, amused, "Its way too long and complicated a title. And here I thought you were a writer."

I smiled, glancing down at the bench beside him to see that there were two steaming mugs sitting there. One was an East High Mug, and the other...

"You brought my mug?" I asked. 

It was a tan mug with white writing on it that said 'You're doing great'. I'd bought it for myself after I started therapy, in the hopes that if I were to drink out of it every morning, it would encourage me to keep going. 

He smiled, picking it up and holding it out to me. 

"Just in case you needed a little encouragement this summer." He said. I smiled taking it and sitting down beside him, taking a sip of the coffee that was waiting inside...just how I like it.

"Did you really get up this early just to make me coffee?" I asked quietly, propping my foot up on the bench and laying my head on his shoulder. 

"Well, I figured I'd get a start on panicking early," He said, "You know, seeing as I am now the one who has to direct the first-ever student production of Frozen that will air in, I don't know, 63 countries?"

He took a sip of his own coffee. 

"Hey," I put my cup down on the porch, turning to face him on the bench, "You are capable of anything that you put your mind to, as you've proven time-and-time again. You know theater, you know this camp, and you know the actors, which are all of the most important elements of being a director. I'm not worried about you in the slightest." 

"Well, that's easy for you to say. This stuff comes naturally to you." He said. 

"Yes, and I will be here every step of the way to help you with whatever you need," I said, folding my legs on the bench and leaning my elbow on the back of it so that I could turn to face him, "I don't think you'll need my help, but you've got it." 

He sighed, turning to look at me. 

"I guess that does help, knowing that I have the legendary Megan Kline at my disposal."

"I will always be at your disposal." I said. He furrowed his eyebrows. "That...sounded kind of gross. I take that back."

He laughed, leaning in and pressing a small kiss to my lips. 

"Do you think this will still be the summer you hoped?" He asked. I nodded, bending down and picking up my mug. 

"I'll admit, I was a little daunted last night," I said, "But then I remembered that our experience is what we make of it, so as long as we try our best to have fun, and make the most of it, I think we are still going to have the best summer ever." 

"Can you believe Ricky showed up?"

"Oh my gosh, I know," I said, turning towards him, "I'm so glad he's here."

"You are?" He asked curiously. I furrowed my eyebrows. 

"Yeah...why wouldn't I be?" I wondered.

"No reason, I just...I don't know, I didn't think you guys were 'besties' or anything." He said with a shrug.