Chapter Four: Auditions

We all split up and headed outside, all of us warming up and going over the audition material. I was pacing back and forth, mouthing my way through 'The First Time In Forever' when a small voice said:

"Hi, Megan!" 

I looked up to see a couple of younger girls standing on the stairs. One of them had pigtails in her hair while the other had long red braids. I smiled. 

"Play it cool." The one with braids said. 

"Sorry. I'm Alex, this is Emmy."  

Emmy tried to say something, but Alex instantly cut her off.

"We're eight graders, almost freshmen, and we are huge fans. We basically memorized all of your songs." 

"Yeah. You played it very cool." Emmy pointed out, elbowing her.

"Are you both auditioning?" Gina asked, stepping up beside me. 

"Yes," Alex said quickly, "Well, maybe. We've never auditioned for anything before."

"Well, if you don't take that leap and do it the first time, then that will always be the excuse," I pointed out, "I'd never actually been in a show until this last school year." 

"Definitely be prepared" Gina told them, "Practice, and you have to be confident."

I clocked how Emmy took out a small notebook and began taking notes.

"But also remember, its supposed to be fun," I pointed out, "Just enjoy it. Don't put so much pressure on what part you get." 

"If you don't feel confident, just fake confidence." Gina continued. 

"Fake confidence, love that for us," Alex said, "Keep going."

"And you have to keep your eye on the prize."

"Whatever that might look like for you," I chimed in, "That doesn't have to be the lead, that could be, stage manager, ensemble, whatever you think suits your skillset best." 

"From this moment on, you two aren't even friends," Gina said earning a look from me, "You're the competition."

"Maybe in professional situations," I said, glancing back at the girls, "But this is summer camp. Its all about friendships and gaining experience and just enjoying the ride. So enjoy it."

"What'd I tell ya?" I heard Ashlyn tell Kourtnee. "Gina 1.0." 

The girls walked away, and I turned to look at Gina. 

"You shouldn't tell them things like that." I said.

"I'm trying to set them up for success," She said with a shrug, "You'd do well to take my advice."

She put her headphones back on, walking into the barn. I bit my lip, trailing inside after her. 

"Yo! We are ready!" Val called, coming out of the ticket booth with EJ trailing along behind her. "It is time to introduce you to your director...Rocket Man himself, EJ Caswell."

They both stood up on the stage, and Maddox opened the curtain while everyone stared at them in disappointed shock. I winced. 

"No Corbin Bleu?" Ashlyn asked sadly.

"He's directing the documentary...not the musical." I said, putting a hand on her back. 

"Circle up." EJ said his voice breaking. Everyone rushed to get in a circle around him, with him standing on the stage and the rest of us standing on the floor. As soon as everyone started holding hands, I knew where this was going.