Chapter Eleven: Same Mistakes

Ricky came out a few seconds after me, sitting down across from me at the table. I raised my eyebrows. 

"Whatcha doin'?" I asked, keeping my hands on my face.

"Making sure you were ok," He said, "But also...kind of picking up a vibe? I thought it might be good for the doc if I acted like I was awkward and uncomfortable with you and EJ's performance because I'm actually in love with you."

"You picked up on that too?" I asked.

"Yeah. They're starving for drama, so..." I nodded in agreement. "I mean that is what you guys were doing, right? That wasn't a real argument?"

"No, yeah. Totally fake." I confirmed. He nodded. "I mean, I don't know...maybe we should use this whole love-triangle thing to our advantage." 

"You mean, the non-existent love triangle that EJ still seems to think is real?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I'll have to talk to him about it, but, having real life feelings could fuel our performance, no?" I said. "Besides, when it comes to acting like we're attracted to each other, you and I need all the help we can get."

"Yeah, for sure," He said, "I did think about what you said the other night though. About playing it like we're with people we actually like. I don't know, you think you could fake the kind of energy you had with EJ in there?"

"I think if I were pretending you were him I could," I said, "What about you? Do you think you could pretend that I'm Gina?"

"I mean...I can give it a shot." He replied. 

"Well...come on, let's try it." I pulled my script out, setting it on top of the table and flipping to a page.

He pulled his out too, flipping it open and causing a folded up sheet of paper to fly out, landing on top of my script. 

"What's this?" I asked, holding it up.

"Just a grocery list." He said. I raised my eyebrows, unfolding it and looking down at Ricky's messy handwriting. 

"Things to do before I'm 18?" I read, glancing up at him. "Eat 20 hot dogs in a row. Ew. Hug a celebrity- Oh, ok. That makes sense now." 

"Yeah." He chuckled. 

"When do you turn 18?" I asked, holding up the list. 

"Opening night." He replied, taking it back. My jaw dropped. 

"Ricky!" I exclaimed. "You're running out o time here! You gotta get this done!" 

"You think?"

"Yes, I think!" I told him, "You should tell the others, let us all help you. I bet Gina would love to help you with your bucket list." 

"I don't know..."

I glanced down at the list again.

"Say yes to something that scares me." I read, glancing up at him. "Like...telling Gina that you like her?"

"Pretty scary." He admitted. I offered him a sympathetic smile, putting my hand over his on the table. 

"So?" I said. "Say yes, then. Tell her how you feel, cross it off your list. I mean, I know she wants that kind of thing."

"Really?" He asked. I nodded. 

"Yeah. I definitely got that vibe at the airport, over spring break?" I told him. "I mean, she has been lacking stability pretty much her whole life. A lot of uncertainty, a lot of maybes. Maybe if you say 'yes', you can accomplish something that's on her bucket list too."