Chapter Twenty: Tiny Dancer

I got up extra early the morning of camp Prom and headed to the main office to get my phone so that I could use my Color War phone call. I had been thinking all night about who to call, and when the answer finally came to me, I knew I had to do it as quickly as possible. 

I tapped on the contact, hitting the call button and pressing my phone to my ear. Dewey was across the room, sitting at his desk with his feet on top of it and a newspaper in his hands. 

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mom!" I greeted. 

"Megan! Hi, how is camp?! We can't wait to see the show tomorrow!" 

"Is that Megan?!" I heard a voice call in the background.

"Yeah, she's on the phone. Ok, Meg, I'm gonna put you on speaker. Dad's here too."

"Hi honey!" 

"Hi dad," I greeted, "I um...I actually have something kind of important to talk to you guys about." 

"Ok...is everything ok?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. At least It will be, I think...depending on how you respond to what I'm about to say," I replied, taking a deep breath, "Its about EJ." 

~~~

The entire day at camp was buzzing with excitement about Camp Prom today and opening night tomorrow. Ricky was rushing through a couple of the final items on his bucket list, and once dinner was over all of the girls rushed back to the Honeycomb cabin to start getting ready. 

"Ok, I am very hyped for this dance tonight," Ashlyn said, her hair up in curlers, "But someone needs to explain to me why we're doing a vintage theme for camp prom." 

"Ooh, I think it has to do with Susan Fine's birthday," Gina said while Kourtnee did her makeup. "Or the day she died." 

"Definitely one of those two." Ashlyn said slowly.

"Honestly, I've never known." Maddox added, already dressed in a gorgeous red dress with a patterned blouse underneath. 

"Look, any camp tradition that doesn't involve climbing a wall is good by me." 

I walked out of the bathroom, pausing in front of the mirror to fluff my feathered hair.

"Megan." Ashlyn said in a serious voice that worried me. I whirled around to face her in concern, only to see all of te girls looking at me with dropped jaws. 

"What?" I asked, looking between all of them. "What's wrong?"

"You look gorgeous!" Gina exclaimed. 

"EJ is going to flip when he sees you tonight!" Kourtnee added.

"You look like Brigette Bardot." Ashlyn said dreamily. I smiled, turning back towards the mirror.

"You think?" I asked. She came up behind me, leaning her chin on my shoulder.

"Spitting image," She said, "You look beautiful. And Kourtnee's right, EJ is going to lose his mind."

"So is everyone else when we all walk in together." I said, turning around to face the others. "There are no dates allowed at Camp Prom, for inclusivity reasons, which I love, and that means that we have to do a hot girl strut when we walk into that Barn tonight." 

"Ooh, yes!" Kourtnee shouted. 

"Aw," Gina said sadly, "I'm gonna miss having all this time with you guys. Ok, sisterhood vibes, all night, ok?"