Chapter Seven: The Ballad of Shallow Lake

By the time it had gotten dark, everyone was settled in and waiting for the festivities to start. 

I was wondering through the campground when I found EJ with his show binder propped up on a fold-out table, and a lantern set up beside it. He was sitting in a lawn chair, going through the script with a highlighter. 

"How's it going, Mr. Director?" I asked, wrapping my arms around myself. 

"Its...going," He said, "I'm getting an understanding of the show, I think."

"Good. You'll need that," I agreed, "But did you consider maybe...taking a little break? Hang out, chill a little bit-"

"Hey" Maddox said coming over, "You're still gonna do the traditional song tonight, right?"

"I was kinda hoping you'd take it." He told her.

"Eej." I said quietly. 

"I just have a lot of homework on the show." He explained, looking back and forth between us. 

"You can't spare like...three minutes to sing a campfire song?" I asked skeptically. 

"Yeah, come on," Maddox begged, "When I sing country songs I sound like a frog." 

He sighed, looking up at me. I raised my eyebrows, giving hi a pleading look.

"Ok, listen. I'll do the scary song, you do the scary story." 

"Oh, don't get it twisted. I was always gonna do the scary story." She said. I smiled, putting a hand on EJ's shoulder. "Honestly, I can't wait." 

I glanced up as Ashlyn walked by, now wearing a denim jacket over her jumpsuit.

"Oh, hey," Maddox called as she passed, "Tent all sent up?"

"Yeah, uh, Gina's basically professionally trained in survival arts." Ashlyn told her. "I think that tent could survive a hurricane."

They both chuckled and I bit my lip excited by the seemingly positive interaction. 

"Hey, I'm sorry if I overstepped with the whole Leo rising thing," Maddox told her, "I just picked up a vibe..." 

"Oh, all good." Ashlyn said. "Your wrong...but all good." 

"Are you sure you don't have any Leo in your big three?" Maddox questioned. "Because you know, your rising signs are based off of your birth time, so-"

Ashlyn laughed loudly, cutting her off.

"Oh no." I mumbled. 

"Of course I know rising signs are based on your birth time. I am basically fluent in the stars, I don't know why I'm yelling."

She turned around, rushing in the direction she was going and Maddox turned around to look at EJ and I. 

"She's uh...not super fond of me, huh?" Maddox questioned.

"Who, Ash?" EJ asked. 

"Yeah."

"No, no she's just going through something," He said "Give her time, Ashlyn loves everybody. And she's a feminist." 

"Ok, I am going to find a bathroom," I said to EJ, "Just...remember what I said about having fun, yeah?"

"Yes ma'am." He said, looking back at his script. I bent down, kissing the top of his head before heading off towards the edge of the camp ground.

"Hey," I looked up to see Ricky running up to me, "Looking for the bathroom?"

"Yeah."

"I was just there, I can show you." He said, holding up his flashlight. I nodded following him out of the clearing and onto a path cutting through the trees.