Chapter Nineteen: Fireworks

Gina and Ricky helped me set up my suprise in the barn, and Ricky went to go get EJ, giving me just enough time to shower, change, and get back before he got there.

I had only barely sat down in the canoe when I heard EJ's voice echoing through the mostly-empty room. 

"This better be good, Bowen." EJ said as Ricky led him inside with a hand over his eyes. Gina was waiting by the door, eagerly awaiting his reaction. Ricky pulled him to a stop, taking his hand off of his eyes and allowing him to see everything we'd done.

We'd basically pulled out all of the water-esque props we could find and set the Barn up to look like the 'Kiss the Girl' scene from the little mermaid. The canoe from this morning was positioned in a bed of blue silk and fairy lights, and it was surrounded by water cut-outs and even a mossy, glade-looking tree that Gina had found. 

"There's room for one more." I told him, folding my hands in my lap. He smiled, his face lighting up. 

"I think she means you, dude." Ricky said, bumping him forward before walking towards the door.

"Thank you both for helping me!" I called after them. Ricky stuck a hand over his head in a wave, and he and Gina left the room. EJ came over and I held up a hand, taking his and helping him into the boat across from me. 

"So what's all this?" EJ asked.

"This, Mr. Blue Team Captain, is your consolation prize!" I announced, brandishing my arms dramatically and causing him to laugh. "I thought I'd set up a little date night for us, and recreate a scene from one of my favorite Disney movies."

I grabbed the remote for the Bluetooth speaker, hitting the play button.

"Its the circle of life-" EJ snatched the remote turning it off as I cackled hysterically. 

"Am I ever going to see the end of the Elton John jokes?" He asked, leaning forward to look at me. I leaned forward too.

"Don't count on it." I said, smirking. "But um...this wasn't just about Blue team losing Color War."

"Oh yeah?" He asked. I nodded.

"I...had a blast with you, working on the show today. Don't misunderstand me there," I said, "But I had kind of been hoping that you could take a break from thinking about the musical today."

"I know, and I'm sorry-"

"Don't apologize," I said, grabbing his hands, "I don't want you to do that for me, I'm totally fine. I'm having an awesome summer, I just..."

"You want me to have one too." He finished for me. I nodded. "Well, there have been a couple of rough moments, I'll be the first to admit but...this is a good start."

I smiled. 

"Ok, and for my third and final ulterior motive of the night" I grabbed a paddle off of the floor, which had been painted with the words 'Canoe be my date to  prom?', "Will you be my date to camp prom?"

"That's what this is?" He asked.

"Among other things." I said with a shrug.

"Oh, man...I really wish I could," I furrowed my eyebrows, "But there's a rule. No dates allowed to the prom. Its a Shallow Lake tradition, so nobody's feelings can get hurt."

I put the paddle down, putting a hand over my chest.

"I love that!" I said sincerely. "Oh my gosh, that's so sweet! That's a great idea!"

"I thought you'd like it." He said with a smile. "So we can't technically 'go together' but...I'll save you a dance."

"I'd like that." I said, as he looked toward the window on the back of the stage.