Chapter Twelve: Relationships Suck

Gina and I headed back to the cabin and changed clothes before returning to the Canteen for movie night. 

Everyone was handing Val their tickets as they walked in the door. I waved Gina ahead, coming to a stop in front of Val.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" I asked, hugging my pillow to my chest. 

"Sure!" She said, suddenly seeming nervous. "Yeah, let's do it!" 

"So, I just wanted to ask-"

"Listen, you should know-"

We both started talking at the same time, and suddenly I knew exactly what she thought this was about. 

"Oh, no, this...its not about EJ." I said.

"He told you?" She asked. I shook my head.

"I kind of overheard you guys, outside earlier," I said, causing her to wince, "Don't worry, this...unfortunately is not the first time this has happened. The whole, 'confiding in other girls' thing. The last one was his ex, so...step up I guess." 

"So...if you don't want to talk to me about EJ, what did you want to talk about?" She asked. 

"Oh, right! Um...I know that you already picked HSM3, for the movie tonight, but is it possible to watch Camp Rock instead? I know that its someone's comfort movie and...I really think they could use it." 

"Of course. Camp Rock, it is." She agreed. I smiled.

"Thank you, Val. And look, I'm sorry that you got dragged into our relationship drama. EJ never should've put that on you." I told her. 

She watched me curiously for a long moment. 

"You're a good friend," She observed, "And girlfriend. I can tell."

I swallowed, handing her my ticket. 

"Thanks." I said, smiling sadly. I went to go inside, when all of a sudden someone walked up behind Val. My eyes widened and she turned around, spotting the source of my shock.

"The prodigal son returns." She said. "You know, Corbin and his doc crew were actually considering making you the tortured protagonist of the documentary." 

"Its ok, I really don't feel like talking. I just wanted to grab something to eat." Jet said gesturing toward the canteen door. 

"We were all really worried about you." Val pointed out. "EJ Ricky. Megan."

"Especially Maddox." I said, causing him to look at me. 

"I've never seen her so upset."

"Well, I'm back now. Everyone can stop crying." 

"You ditched your castmates during a really important rehearsal!" She scolded. "EJ had to sing Love is an Open Door."

"Sounds like I'm pretty replaceable." He said with a scoff. I furrowed my eyebrows. 

"So prove you're not." 

He went to walk past her, but I stopped hi with a hand on his shoulder.

"What!?" He exclaimed, exasperated. 

I didn't answer him. I simply wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him into a hug. He went stiff, his arms hanging by my sides.

"You don't have to hug me back," I said, "But I'm glad your back, and that your safe. And I know your sister will be too. No matter what your history is." 

I pulled away, giving him one last look before pulling the door open and holding it for him. He walked past me, going inside, and I glanced at Val. 

"See?" She said. "Good people. You did it with Emmy during auditions too."