Chapter Twenty-One: Promises

"What are we doing?" I asked as we came to a stop back stage. He let go of my hand, glancing off to the side.

"Hey, please don't put that drink on Elsa's castle, we need that for tomorrow night." He said worriedly, folding his hands behind his head.

"What's up? We're missing the last song." I continued, grabbing his arms and pulling them down again. He smiled, grabbing my elbows.

"Well...I have something to give you," He said, "It was gonna be your opening night gift but...it feels right to give it to you now."

He reached into the pocket of his jacket, pulling out a small, black velvet box. He handed to me and I grinned,pulling the lid open.

Inside was a ring with a cloudy pink gem in the center, flanked by white and pink diamonds. I lightly ran my fingers over the gem.

"It's beautiful." I whispered.

"Yeah, I thought so too," he said, "Mostly I just thought you'd like it, but also..."

He trailed off and I looked up at him, meeting his eyes and waiting for him to continue.

"What?"

He took the ring out of the box, tucking the box into his jacket pocket. 

"I know we're not ready to get married," He said, "We have a lot to do in our lives, and a lot of stuff to figure out before we even think about getting engaged, but...I know that when the time comes to start thinking about that...I want it to be you. I thought this could be a sort of...pre-engagement ring. So you know that no matter what stage of life we're in, I'm thinking about the future. Our future." 

"You know that's a thing, right?" I asked. 

"Pre-engagement rings?" He repeated.

"They're usually called promise rings." I pointed out. I reached into my purse, pulling out a small velvet box of my own. EJ raised his eyebrows in disbelief, chuckling as I opened the lid to reveal the silver band with crushed stone accents that I'd picked out weeks ago. 

"No way!" He exclaimed. I laughed, putting the box back and taking the ring out.  He took my left hand in his, sliding the ring onto my left ring finger. I did the same with his and then we both let go to observe our new rings. 

"I guess we're on the same page." I concluded, putting my hand down and meeting his eyes once again. He smiled. 

"Not on everything," He said with a shrug, "But we agree on the things that matter." 

"I love you," I said, taking a step towards him and folding the edges of his button-up between my fingers, "Can we agree on that?" 

"What do you think?" 

I smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck and standing on my toes to hug him. He hugged me back, resting his chin on my shoulder. 

We pulled away when we heard hurried footsteps from the stage door, immediately followed by Seb storming backstage. 

"Elton John?" He asked. I burst out laughing and EJ leaned his forehead against my shoulder, prompting me to put a hand on the back of his head. 

"Folks this is a general reminder about PDA," Dewey's voice said over the speakers, "The reminder is don't. Megan Kline, EJ Caswell, I'm talking to you backstage."

I stepped away from EJ, holding my hands up. 

~~~

I walked back to my cabin alone, unable to supress the smile that was on my face. I grabbed the doorknob, going to pull the door open when I heard singing coming from inside.