Chapter Seventeen: Terms They Understand

EJ and I ran through the saloon doors of the barn, and he slapped his hands down, his face erupting into a grin. 

"Sorry I'm late," He told her, "I can't believe you actually came to help me."

"EJ, my tallest child." Ms. Jenn greeted. 

"He is also your oldest child." I pointed out. 

"I've missed you." He said cheerfully.

"I made a pact to help any Wildcat in need, anywhere in the contagious lower 48 states."  She said, walking down the steps off of the stage. "Where else would I be?"

"That is so weirdly specific." I said with a smile. 

"Megan," She greeted, "Is it just me or are you positively glowing today?"

"Its all the yellow," I told her, "Which I've been wearing a weird amount of this summer." 

"Or maybe its her new status as a leading lady," EJ said, "She's playing Anna."

"Oh sweetheart! That's perfect for you! I would've made the same choice!" She exclaimed. I smiled as she rushed forward, pulling both of us into a hug. "Now EJ, I present to you the writings of a genius, or a woman in desperate need of a nap."

She reached into her purse, pulling out a stack of papers of all different colors and sizes.

"Its everything you'll need to direct this musical successfully. Jennifer's Guide to Directing Children in the Modern Era." She said. "Megan, if you're planning on being a teacher, I'm sure you could use this knowledge too." 

She reached into her purse again, pulling out a twizzler.

"Twizzler?" She asked. 

"Did you get those from the woods?" EJ questioned. 

"No. I got them from the local shopkeeper, Susan." My eyes widened. "Fine selection of local wares they've got. Really fine."

EJ and I shared a horrified look. 

"Let's get to work, Mr. Director." 

~~~

"Sorry! Sorry, I'm here!" I shouted, jogging onto the basketball court and putting my hands on my knees so that I could catch my breath.

"Where'd you go?" Jet asked, dribbling the basketball. "I haven't seen you since EJ came to get you."

"I was helping him with musical stuff." I said, standing up straight and putting my hands on my hips. "So, fair warning...pretty sure I suck at basketball." 

"So why did you pick it?" He wondered.

"Because no one else wanted to play basketball," I said with a shrug, "Plus, I'm not 100% positive. I'm still gonna try my best, just keep in my mind it might be terrible."

"And you're just gonna go for it?" He asked. "Even if you might suck?"

"Well yeah," I said, "You can't just assume you suck and its gonna go badly without ever trying. If I'd stayed stuck in that mindset, I wouldn't be here right now. I'd have no friends, no music career, and I'd probably be wallowing at home alone all summer." 

"Yeah...feel that." He said with a shrug, dribbling the ball again.

"So...are you gonna try your best?" I questioned. "For Maddox?"

"Even if it might all be pointless and the damage I caused can't be undone?" He replied. I shrugged.

"Sure." He nodded.