Chapter Sixteen: Color War

After all of the chaos of the previous day, we were all woken up at 6 AM by screaming in the boy's cabin.

I grabbed my sweater, running out of the HoneyComb and over to 'The Yurt Locker', busting through the door just in time to see EJ holding Ricky back.

"Ricky, stop, its Mr. Bleu!" He warned. 

"I thought you guys weren't supposed to film in the cabins." I pointed out through a yawn.

"What if I didn't have a shirt on?!" Carlos exclaimed.

"Looks like you have three shirts on." Channing pointed out before turning to me. "And if we're not supposed to be in here, neither are you."

"Yeah well, I'm pretty sure a potential life-or-death situation overrides camp rules," I said, "Breach of contract on the other hand..."

"Dude! You filmed me behind a bush!" Ricky shouted, pointing an accusing finger at him. 

"Hey you! Up!" Corbin retorted, hitting an air horn and causing all of us to slap our hands over our ears. The flinching cause Jet to jump up in his bunk, sending a small stuffed Duck rolling to the floor. "Cute Duck." 

Jet jumped down to grab it just as the door opened again and Kourtnee came charging in.

"I'm calling it," She said, "Corbin Bleu has officially lost his mind. Cute Duck." 

Jet tucked the duck behind his back.

"Folks! We're two hours away from Camp Shallow Lake's most exciting tradition. Tune in to see a bunch of theater kids get their heads out of the clouds and into the game."

"I'm praying the game is chess." Carlos said, clutching his robe closed. 

"Report to the Ampitheater at 8 AM sharp for a day of sports. Its Color War!" Corbin shouted into the camera. I raised my eyebrows. 

~~~

I like to consider myself a multi-talented person. I can sing, I'm a writer. I draw and paint. I'm even a half-decent dancer. But of all of the things that I am skilled or at least semi-skilled in...

Sports is not one of them. 

Which is why I convinced Maddox to drag a canoe into the barn and teach me how to row, so I might have some chance of contributing for whatever team I end up on for Color War. 

"And then turn the paddle up toward the ceiling at the end. Over and over again."

"Like that?" I asked. 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah."

"Ok."

"Yeah, got it. Natural." I chuckled. "You just gotta commit to one side. Of the canoe, or else you'll fall out. You'll be fine." 

She clapped a hand on my shoulder, standing up.

"Thanks for being my last-minute Color War tutor." I said, putting the paddle down over my lap.

"I can't believe that you're actually bad at sports." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I'm a theater kid," I said, "Why is that surprising?"

"Well, I kind of figured with you dating Rocket Man...I always took him as the type to like athletic girls."

"Well if that is the case, then he is settling for me, because I am not that." I said. She laughed.

"Somehow, I doubt that," She told me, "The settling part, I mean."

I smiled.

"So um...how you doin'? Since yesterday?" I asked. "You kind of...exposed all of your family drama to the whole cast."