Chapter 6: The Noose

(wednesday pov)
"Enid." The blonde is gasping for air in the hallway. I sit down in front of her. "Enid." She doesn't respond, staring at the floor, one hand on the wall. She is sinking to her knees. "Enid, look at me." The startling crystal blue irises lock with mine, and my heart rate increases. "Breathe out, Enid." She does. "Good. Ok. In, slowly." She breathes in shakily. "Now back out." She gasps. Hyperventilating again. I sigh, and place a hand on her shoulder. The gasps slow slightly. I put the other one on her lungs, pushing slightly. "Enid." She breathes out. "There you go." She inhales shakily, but expels the air successfully. "Wednesday," she gasps. "Quiet. Breathe." She obeys. Eventually it settles out, and I remove my hands. "Good morning, Sinclair."

"Sorry!" she immediately gushes, "I didn't mean to! It was an accident!" She puts her head in her hands. "Enid."

"I didn't mean to! I was just trying to-"

"Enid."

"-breathe and then you showed up and-"

"Enid."

"Now you are stuck here and I'm so sorry-"

"Enid!"

She looks up at me slowly. "Stop," I tell her. She nods, and seals her lips. "Enid, why are you apologizing?"

"Because I-"

"Rhetorical question." I hold up a hand, and she shuts up again. "Enid, you have nothing to apologize for. You just had a panic attack. Do you know why?" The girl opens her mouth, and shuts it again. I nod, and stand up, extending a hand. She takes it gratefully, and stands, keeping it in hers as we walk back to the room. I try desperately to keep my heart rate down.

(enid pov)
I know I should let go of her hand, but I don't. I need it. She doesn't pull away. I know she wants to. When we get to the room, I release it slowly and it falls to her side.

(omniscient narrator)
The girls lie down on the floor next to each other, watching the ceiling to make sure it doesn't change. They don't speak on the position, and assume it silently. Both actively avoid looking at the other. Enid speaks first. "Thank you."

"For?" The other asks. "Everything."

"I didn't do anything."

"You did."

"Whatever, Sinclair."

"How are you holding up?"

"Pardon?"

"After... everything. Have you talked to anyone about what happened with Tyler and Crackstone?" Wednesday stiffens. "No." Enid finally caves, and looks over at the petite girl. "You need to, Wednesday."

"Why?"

"Because it isn't ok to keep it all bottled up!"

"I'm not. I just wasn't affected."

"Ok..."

"What about you? Have the nightmares stopped?" The werewolf hesitates, "Not entirely."

Wednesday breaks, and looks over. "Are you okay?" Enid nods vigorously. Both girls sigh, and stare back at the ceiling. "Do you want to go for a walk? I could show you the woods?" Enid asks. "Sure," Wednesday responds, and they stand up.

(enid pov)
I show Wednesday to the kitchen and we grab water and some granola bars. Then we head out the door past my brothers and a scolding mother. I take her to my favorite spot, about half a mile into the forest. The clearing is covered in moss, and a small gap in the canopy lets beams of sunlight warm our faces. I glance over at Wednesday, and my heart rate quickens at the shine of the sun on her freckles. Her lips rise up slightly, and I sit down on the mossy earth. Wednesday follows suit, and I toss her some food and a water bottle. "I made you something," I smile, reaching into my satchel. Wednesday looks over at me, confused. "Oh, Sinclair, you didn't have to..." I toss her the necklace. She looks at it, confused. "E?" she asks. Dammit. "Oh no! I meant to give you a W! That must be mine. The other one is back at the house." I reach for the necklace, but Wednesday pulls it away. "I'm keeping this one. I like it."

I blush. "Really?" She nods, latching it around her neck. "You keep the 'W.'" She tells me. I nod quickly. She wants my initial around her neck. My heart sounds too fast right now. I shake myself, and move on. I take a deep breath, trying desperately to keep the heat out of my face. I move on. "This is my favorite place in the whole world."

"Why?"

"It is peaceful. It smells like trees, and it is warm, even in the winter."

"It is trees."

"Exactly!" I laugh. Wednesday does, too, in her own way. Mostly in her eyes, an extra sparkle being added by the sunlight. Things are finally going well, and my feelings are in the

(wednesday pov)
The cold metal of my new accessory feels like a noose. What is happening to me? I took it. I kept it. I put the noose around my neck and now my laughter is pulling it tighter. Enid looks over at me, wiping her eyes. I think I have appendicitis, which is impossible because I removed my own appendix when I was 11. But that is the explosion of emotion that fills me. I gasp. "Wednesday? Are you okay?" I cough. "I'm fine," I tell her, coughing again. "Are you sure?" Enid looks concerned. I hate hurting her. "Yes," I choke. "I think we should go back," she tells me. I continue coughing, and nod. She takes me back to the house, insisting on holding my hand, which only makes everything worse. I keep up the charade until it is decided that I should be sent home. Enid goes to hug me as I depart, but I resist. Her eyes fill with tears. "I'm sorry," she gasps. Her father strokes her hair, and stares at me. I cough again. My mother is in the car outside, glaring at me. My father is smiling. I get to the car, coughing once more for effect. Enid is crying. My chest aches, and the noose tightens as the necklace reminds me of why I am doing this. I place a hand on the muggy car window as Enid disappears around the bend. I cough once more, and straighten, turning to my parents. "Are you feeling okay, dear?" My father asks. "A bit better," I reply, curtly. "Do you want to return to your friend?" He asks. I cough again. "Perhaps not."

My mother looks at me, hard. "Did something happen, daughter?" I reach for the chain around my neck, and then kick myself. "No. I am just a bit ill," I tell her. She nods, but doesn't seem to believe me. Who would blame her? I'm not here because of a cough. I'm here trying to escape my death, but I took the noose with me. Because for some reason I don't want to forget the executioner. My brain isn't functioning properly. Maybe I actually am sick. I lean against the window, staring at the sky of clouds. Funny. It had been sunny back at the clearing. This seems more fitting.

(enid pov)
"She had seemed fine! What happened?" I ask my dad desperately, panicking about my roommate. She had just started coughing uncontrollably. My dad had called her parents, and I had waited for them with her. I downloaded the next two Star Wars films to her phone, so she could finish. It didn't mean anything to her, but I had to do something.

I reach over to my nightstand, where the W necklace sits. I clutch it in my fist, dissolving on my bed. When I regain control, my pillow is soaked through with the salt of my eyes. It is a wonder I'm not dehydrated. I chuckle, as that is what Wednesday would say. Wednesday. I miss her so much. I can't see her again until school starts, and that isn't for two months. I put the necklace on, and breathe deeply. Just like she taught me. I unconsciously touch my shoulder where her hand was twice today. It feels like years ago. I sigh, and lie on my back. I should get my dad to move it back to my room, but I don't yet. This room smells like her. That isn't a good idea, but it is all I have right now. I shouldn't be getting attached. My phone buzzes. I lunge for it, hoping to see something from the girl who left. But it is from Ajax. I sigh in defeat, and throw it on the floor. Eventually, I sigh and pick it up. "Hey! When does Wednesday leave? I'd love to come visit but I know there isn't room for all of us."

I sigh. "She leaves on Monday. I guess you could come then."

"Sounds great! Tell her I said hi!"

I roll over, glaring at the messages. I love Ajax, I shouldn't lie. But, really, I wish I'd given myself longer. Monday is only in four days.

(omniscient narrator)
Wednesday and Enid didn't sleep well that night. Wednesday felt guilty for lying, and spent a long time drafting a text to tell Enid she was ok, before giving up and wandering the family graveyard with little enthusiasm. Enid had nightmares again. And Wednesday wasn't there. Both girls eventually found slumber, and Wednesday faced Enid on the ground outside, Enid gravitating towards her as she tossed and turned.