Chapter 18: Morning Now

(wednesday pov)
I lie next to Enid, in my bed the next morning. I stare at the ceiling feeling a true juxtaposition. Thrill and regret. Guilt and excitement. Love and hate, for myself. I've really done it now. But this is right, because that is what Enid said. When Enid is done with me, I will let her go, but I might as well just enjoy this while I can. Be loved until she realizes.

I sit up slowly, contemplating starting the day by going to get changed from what is still my room. But I think better of it, instead sitting down and watching the girl sleep, breathing peacefully. After a while she stirs, arm reaching for where I lay minutes ago. I grab one of them with mine, kissing it lightly as she wakes up. Her eyes open slowly, and she sighs as she registers me, wearing yesterday's wrinkled uniform. She smiles slightly. "Good morning, Enid," I tell her.

She smiles. "Good morning, Wednesday." I stand up slowly, walking across the room and tossing her a robe hanging by her bed. "You can't walk around in your current state, Sinclair," I tell her. "Why, Wednesday? Would you be jealous?" She asks slyly. I shake my head. "It is just rather cold." She winks, and my eyes drift to her lips, but I snap them back up to the ceiling. A bit too quickly, it turns out, because she cackles at my embarrassment as she puts the robe on. I sigh. "I have to go get clothes from my room. I can't wear this." I gesture to the wrinkled clothes. I turn, but Enid grabs my hand. I stop, turning around. "Don't go."

(enid pov)
"Don't go." The words tumble out, partially unexpected even by me. Wednesday looks at me, confused. "I just need clothes, Enid. I'm not leaving. I'll come back."

"No." I grip her hand tightly. "Because if you leave this could all just disappear. Some stupid dream I had because the night is full of lies and I couldn't handle it if this was one of them." Wednesday looks at me, hard, and then nods. She points at something behind me, and I hold her hand tighter as I turn around, irrationally afraid that she will just disappear. She squeezes back, and steps behind me as I look at the window. "Daylight," she whispers. "The night may be full of lies, that's why I love it, but the morning is brutally honest." She kisses my cheek. "I'll be back in less than thirty minutes." She lets go of me, but I turn and kiss her deeply and slowly. She leans into it. I pull back and nod. "Try to get transferred back in here while you are gone. I miss Thing." She nods, blushing, and walks out the door. I smile and turn back to the sunset. It is morning now. It wasn't all a lie.

Wednesday is back within thirty minutes, like she promised, and she has all of her stuff. She waves the filled out transfer form, and I smile. Her eyes relax slightly, setting her typewriter down. I feel my shoulders relax slightly. She is back.

Thing scurries in. I beam down at him. "Finally!" he signs, and I blush and nod. Wednesday looks at him. "I have to go!" he signs, hurrying out. I nod, and glance over at Wednesday. She walks over to me slowly, and the corner of her lip tilts upward. I lean down slightly, touching her lips to mine. She smiles against me, and I place a hand on her waist. She pulls away slowly, and my mouth hangs open as the sun strikes her features, making her look like a crystal. She looks back at me. "You look silly with your jaw hanging like that." I nod in agreement, kissing her again. I feel her lips fail to hold down a smile.

(wednesday pov)
I smile against Enid's lips, much to my chagrin. She chuckles, and I pull expertly out of her grip, her hand falling from my waist to her side. I revel in her shock for mere seconds before grabbing her hand, and spinning myself into her and letting myself feel.

This is weakness.

Not yet. I won't allow that yet. I will let myself have a day.

I have the day. There are no classes. We wander the side of the woods where Crackstone and Tyler never went, we avoid our conspiratorial friends, however correct they were.

(enid pov)
Wednesday steals the best food from the teacher's lounge, and we watch the rest of the Star Wars movies. Then we lie under the window and talk until midnight, when we both drift to sleep on the wood floor. I have no nightmares.

A/N: sorry for the short chapter. I have been super busy, and working on other projects. I swear I have so many plans this story is far from over. <3333