Chapter 13: Voicemail

(wednesday pov)
Enid. I grab my phone, and call her. It goes to voicemail. Dammit. I just hope I'm not too late. "Leave your message in 3... 2... 1..."

"Enid. I know you have no reason to listen to me, and that is fine. I thought it would be better this way and... I was wrong and I messed it all up. Not the point! I know I can't fix this, but please, if you ever cared about me, don't go to any cafes in Jericho. I, just, trust me. Please. I'm sorry. I know you've deleted this, and you have every right to, but I was scared, Enid, and, and, I love y-

"Please. Don't go to any cafes in Jericho. That isn't me being selfish. I just want you to be safe and happy, ok? I- will- Please. For me."

I hang up, kicking myself for what I almost said. But I have no time, and so I send it to her, hoping it arrives in time. I pace frantically, turning my phone off Do Not Disturb. Wow. That is a ridiculous thing to do. What am I doing? I shouldn't care.

But I do. I owe Goody that much honesty. I owe Enid that much honesty.

(enid pov)
My phone buzzes, but I ignore it. I laugh, Wednesday rubbed off on me. I sigh, and go to sleep. One night, and then I get to go hang out with my friends. Have a good time. That'll be a change. I try to smile, but it doesn't work, so I just go to sleep.

The next day goes by so slowly. Halfway through fourth period I see a voicemail from Wednesday, but Yoko looks over my shoulders. "At least wait until after the party to go through that," she whispers. I nod. I should delete it, but I don't. I will wait until after the party at the café.

(wednesday pov)
I'm stressed all the next day. Finally, in fifth period, I corner the only person I can trust. "Have you seen Enid today?" I ask Xavier, blocking all his exits. "Yeah," he replies, confused.

"Was she ok?"

"Yes! Wednesday, what is happening?"

"Nothing... Thank you. You have been... helpful."

He nods, unsure. But he stops me. "She loves you," he tells me. I look away. "Be honest with yourself, Addams."

"You have been helpful. Have an endurable day, Xavier."

"You got it!" he calls awkwardly. I sigh, and keep walking. Hopefully, Enid will see my message. She didn't go anywhere last night.

I finish the rest of my classes, and I find myself calm in the library that afternoon, content with the knowledge that right now Enid is safe and, hopefully, happier without me.

(enid pov)
I throw on my favorite jacket and look in the mirror. I touch the makeup over my scars, and decide against it. Wednesday may have left me, but I should be proud of my marks. I wipe it off, and glance back at my reflection, almost smiling at the girl. I sigh, and head out the door. Texting Wednesday on the way out the door.

"Sorry, I haven't listened to your message yet. I'm going out with the girls in Jericho, but I'll get back to you tomorrow."

I hurry down the stairs, and out through the courtyard and past the gates of Nevermore. Yoko is waiting, and I link arms with her, smiling.

"Enid," she says conspiratorially, "I think Ajax and Xavier hooked up."

I choke, "Really? Omygosh. That's perfect!" Yoko nods, snickering. I nod at her, again almost smiling, and we continue on the way to this small café she found.

(wednesday pov)
The text comes in, and my heart sinks to my stomach. Of course she wouldn't listen to it immediately. I knew I hurt her. I knew that. Why did I think this could be enough?

"Enid get out of there!"

Message not delivered.

"Enid come back to the school!"